• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 5X battery life

exninja

Android Enthusiast
Now that you've had some time with the 5X, what kind of screen on time are you getting?

For reference, when I got my Nexus 5 I easily got 4 hours. When Lollipop came out, I was 2-2.5. Now it's lucky to get 1.5 hours. I'm sure some of that is the fact that my battery is over 2 years old now and well used.

D'you know, I'm not sure. I have noticed that overall, battery is way better than I ever got with my Nexus 4, even when it was brand new, but I haven't really tracked screen time.

I think one of the reasons I'm less obsessed by battery stats is that fast charge has been a complete transformation: for over 2 decades I have always left my phones charging overnight. These days, I just pop the phone onto charge when I get up and - unless the battery was almost entirely flat the night before - it's pretty nearly full by the time I leave the house. The 3.1A charger I have in the car also manages to top up the battery even when I'm using GPS - with the N4, the same charger barely maintained the charge.

I'm sure a lot of your issues are down to the age of the battery. If you're out of warranty, it's maybe worth considering a replacement battery? Certainly cheaper than a new phone. I did consider getting a new battery for my N4 but it had a bunch of other h/ware issues - the USB port needed replacement and the screen had come away from the housing - and besides, I fancied a new phone ;)

I'll likely get a new battery soon. It's more for info when it's time to replace. Honestly, 99% of the time I have no problem with the battery. It nearly always lasts the day. There are occasions when I'd like more juice for when I don't have access to a power cable, though. The battery life could be something to help persuade me to get a new phone this Christmas rather than milk another year from the N5. There are many factors though, like if Google releases another 5in model, etc etc. I got the N5 December of 2013, so I'm a little spoiled by the fact that I got 2 years+ of updates. Getting a year-old N5X means one year less of updates.

And the 4 hours of SOT with KitKat really wasn't that great. That got halved just going to Lollipop and had nothing to do with my battery's wear.

That looks like basically the same thing that Android's native Doze does, just selectable...

I realize it's going to be very variable. For example, I apparently work in a Faraday cage and get abysmal cell service. That drains my battery big time. Also, I have a watch which has seemed to be detrimental to my phone battery because now Google play services, etc. are clogging my battery usage data. It also seems to prevent Doze on my phone. Anyways, the point is that I know YOUR SOT won't be exactly mine, but I'm hoping for a trend. N5 trends seem to be around 2 hours since lollipop. I'm lower than that mostly due to cell signal. If the N5X trend is around 4 hours then it's better, but also it's back to what the N5 was with KitKat (and the big complaint at the time was the crappy battery). Hopefully everyone knows how to find your SOT since last charge...

yeah it might be but this one feels like it is much more faster in going into doze and not like the native one where it has to be some minutes still and not touched or moved before going into doze mode..

nope new to android so have no clue how to find the SOT since last charge :D

Ah. In marshmallow, easiest way is to two finger pull down to get the quick settings tray thing, then touch the battery icon. Scroll down the list to "screen" and touch that. It'll tell you the time the screen has been on since the last full charge.

Back
Top Bottom