• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nexus 6 giving error during update installation

May 10, 2015
I got rid of moto turbo for no updates and bought nexus 6 and when I check for updates there is an update of 23.3 mb which gives error during installation.
Android 5.1.1
Build LMY48M
It says device is unlocked in boot options but its not rooted as I checked it using rootchecker app. There is an app supersu. I am wondering whether it is pre-installed or not.
Any idea how to get rid of this error as I am very disappointed right now....

05aa9bc26ad5fdfa54fb14fc8c77eea1.jpg

0a59d150498b5097c6b54e4d4161ac39.jpg

7e3de500953db26677785ca6136e8f50.jpg

d1a316b7009d3ddaab92e02f38569317.jpg

If supersu app is present, it is likely that it was rooted at some point in time.
@op - did you buy this used/refurbished?
Since Lollipop (5.x), you can't install an OTA if your system partition is modified. Installing supersu (even if you 'unroot' in SuperSU options after that) doesn't change the fact that system was modified.

If this is the case, you will need to flash factory images before attempting to take an OTA (I'd suggest just flashing the latest factory image -and not have to worry about OTA). Once you flash factory image, as long as you don't root, you should be able to take OTA in the future.

If you decide to flash factory images, you can follow the instructions at this thread - http://androidforums.com/threads/guide-how-to-flash-a-nexus-factory-image-manually.706533/
In Step 3, make sure you get the latest build - not the one listed on that post.

Note that if your bootloader is not already unlocked, your phone will be wiped when you unlock (or relock) the bootloader. I'd suggest leaving your bootloader unlocked - that way, if your phone ever has a system software issue, you will have better chances of recovering your phone

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
Note that if your bootloader is not already unlocked, your phone will be wiped when you unlock (or relock) the bootloader. I'd suggest leaving your bootloader unlocked - that way, if your phone ever has a system software issue, you will have better chances of recovering your phone
+1.

It bears repeating for everyone (maybe too late for op). Unlocking bootloader should be the first thing anyone does when getting this phone.
Or at a minimum enable bootloader unlock in android settings.

Unlocking bootloader will limit the possibility that you lose all data (if you ever have to unlock later).

Just enabling unlock in android settings will virtually eliminate the possibility of hard brick of your device (other than hardware malfunction)....
...in contrast if you have not enabled bootloader unlock in android settings, then you lose most of your options for recovering in event of problem like boot-loop due to failed ota update.

Coming from a Samsung device, the distinction between unlocking bootloader and rooting was not so obvious. There was no way to unlock bootloader without rooting. On Nexus we can unlock bootloader without rooting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones