• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 6 is freezing and slow

php111

Android Enthusiast
Hey, sometime now I had noticed my phone is slow and freezing up. I had tried using that Wugus tool numerous of times to do a restore but it is still freezing and still slow. So, what would be the best thing to do? For service I am using Project Fi.

Hey, sometime now I had noticed my phone is slow and freezing up. I had tried using that Wugus tool numerous of times to do a restore but it is still freezing and still slow. So, what would be the best thing to do? For service I am using Project Fi.

Clear the cache from the recovery menu. You can google how to do it.

Last edited:
Are you on the stock ROM/Kernel? Are you rooted?
You mentioned "Restore" - what did you restore (from/to)?

Is a factory reset an option you'd consider? (it will wipe your data)

Are you on the stock ROM/Kernel? Are you rooted?
You mentioned "Restore" - what did you restore (from/to)?

Is a factory reset an option you'd consider? (it will wipe your data)

Yes, on stock. No, I am not rooted.

Restore from/to would be stock firmware. I let Wugus download the firmware automatically for me.

Yes, I would consider a reset option.

I haven't used Wugs, so not sure about the available options in that - but do you just apply the OTA? or do you perform the full image, including wipe? (or do you select the no-wipe option - I assume something like that exists in Wugs).

One other option to consider, before you factory reset - try booting in safe mode.
https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/102437/p/30,6720,9293
This will help figure out if a third party app is causing the issue (in safe mode, third party apps are not auto-launched)
If the problem doesn't exist in safe mode, or if your device slows down after launching a specific app, you know which app is causing the issue.

If safe mode doesn't help determine the cause, you can try the factory reset (after you back up all the data you care about, and fully charging your phone). No guarantees it will resolve the issue of course, but that's the last option to attempt.

Assuming you are on the latest stable build (MOB31E)
https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/102427/p/30,6720,9293
Due to encryption, the factory reset will take a while 15-30 minutes (depending on whether your phone has 32GB or 64GB)

It works but maybe 2 weeks later you have to do it again to speed up your device. Is there any other way better?

The better way is to figure out why your phone is getting bogged down in the first place. I would suspect and app or service (Especially any type of "phone optimizer" which is a glorified task killer, and generally a bad idea.).

I've had the N6 pretty much from launch and have NEVER seen this kind of sluggish behavior.

My old school nexus 6 stock gets super sluggish when the google camera is in use/running in the background. If i swipe it away from the background, things get back to normal. On an older build of whatsapp, using the google video camera would oft cause that app to lock up, force close, freeze, etc. if i lowered the resolution that would ease things but the device would still be a bit sluggish ... just my observations on my launch day device...

Back
Top Bottom