• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nexus 6 Ringtone Folder Disappearing

rockluvva

I have a Nexus 6 & in the last few days, my ringtone folder just disappears. It only seems to happen when I get a call from a ringtone that I had added to a particular contact, from what I can tell (as opposed to the standard ringtone for everyone). But it's not only 1 specific contact. Yet when I plug my phone into my laptop, it still shows the ringtone folder as being there, though if I switch the phone off & back on again, it disappears. But it definitely isn't showing in File Manager on my phone and I just get a very quiet 'dong' when someone rings me.

If I go into sounds, the names of all my ringtones are there, but if I press any of them, it just comes up with the same quiet 'dong'.

Notification tones are unaffected.

I have a rooted Nexus 6 running 5.1.1. I actually decided to factory reset the phone on Friday, thinking a fresh start would help and it was maybe just a glitch somewhere. All it did was wreck my phone completely to the extent it wouldn't boot up at all, so I had to re-download a 5.1.1 image from Google and reflash it. And the problem remains.

Has anyone else had this? I've had a read around the internet and can't see anything similar. Maybe I should downgrade back to 5.1? I don't remember when I did the update to 5.1.1, but I'm sure 5.1.1 hasn't been out that long. Otherwise, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I don't use custom ringtones myself, so my help is going to somewhat limited. Some troubleshooting options:

Flash back to the unrooted 5.1.1 factory image. If it happens there, we know its a bug in the official android version. If it doesn't happen there, its likely a problem with the ROM.

Reverting back to 5.1 might be a good option if it was working for you fine there. Android M is around the corner and it may have it fixed. You could try flashing that as well.

Thanks, Rxpert83. It was an unrooted flash, so will try taking the root off 1st. If that doesn't work, I probably will downgrade. It's just strange I've not seen this anywhere else, or within any of the issues I've read about. Will post how I get on

Back
Top Bottom