• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 6 visual dating clues?

OcalaFlGuy

Android Expert
So I am planning on getting a used N6 from Swappa. Of course, I'd rather get a 6 month old one than a 2 year old one.

Some sellers are not the original owners so they don't necessarily know the age.

Are there any visual clues to determine an earlier or later production phone?

I read you can see the manufacture date IF the bootloader is unlocked but some of the used phones Aren't
unlocked. Is there any other quick way to see the manufacture date?

(The N5's date was the 1st 3 digits in the serial number Off Of The Box. Something like that would help with the N6.)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Get the phone's IMEI and check it here: https://imeidata.net/check

When it finds the device, then select the option to check the warranty information. It will tell you the date of manufacture and the date of activation. Just for argument's sake, I entered the IMEI of my Nexus 4 and it accurately identified the manufacturer and model and when I checked the dates it said the production date was Oct 26, 2012 and the "ESN go date" (which I assume is the activation date) was Nov 4 2012. That sounds about right.

Thanks Lun. You still using your N4? Did you put a new battery in it? My N4 is almost 3 years old and it's original battery is on it's last legs though it's still my daily driver.

When I get a N6 I am considering putting a new battery in my N4. It was only 3 months old when I got it and still had the factory film on it. It is still totally pristine, screen protect and case since day 1.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I still use my N4 but it's more of a backup than a daily driver. The battery still holds its charge very well. I've had my N6 for 18 months and have been entirely satisfied with it.

Back
Top Bottom