• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 6 vs 5x - need help choosing

varaonaid

Android Enthusiast
Hello,

I need to get a new phone that is compatible with Fi. At this point, I'm looking at the 5x 32gb or the N6 64gb. I'm coming from a six month old LG G4 and a Note 3 before that. Large screen phones don't scare me off. I have small hands and I almost never use it one-handed, even with little feature phones "back in the day".

Here's my initial thinking. I don't want to pay full price for a $650 6 month old phone that will be replaced in the fall or I'd get a 6p. If they were as discounted as the G4 was this far into it's release cycle, I'd consider it. But I think at this point, the upgrade is worth waiting for at those prices. So, I'd definitely be looking at the N6 if the 5x hadn't just gone on a great sale for Fi users. So, pricing wise, I'm looking at $249 for a 32gb 5x or around $335 for a 64gb N6.

My concerns are around a couple of things:
2gb RAM vs 3gb. I'm an admittedly heavy user with many apps open at the same time and regularly, 100+ tabs in Chrome. I have a lot ofapps installed (maxed out my 32gb Note 3 w/ microSD but still have some usable space on my G4 w/microSD) and use my phone for loads of things from the usual email, browsing, phone, text to home automation and LifeLine (emergency medical help). Obviously, in lab settings, 3gb vs 2gb RAM will have obvious "more is better" outcomes. But what about real day-to-day usage? How much difference will I see in the 2gb 5x and 3gb N6? I'm concerned enough about it that I'm taking the time to ask, research and consider both phones.

My second concern about the 5x is storage space. I can use cloud storage and get creative on an OTG USB drive/SD card reader for some things and when I'm in WiFi, I'll upload to the cloud. But I am concerned about taking photos, video, etc and having enough space on my phone. This will be the first time ever that I've not had both microSD and removable battery. How much of a problem do you foresee this being for me to make the switch to 32gb rather than 64gb?

Third concern about the 5x is the screen. I currently have a 5.5" display so going to 5.2" isn't going to be a big deal. But QHD vs HD may make a difference. In terms of everyday reading, video, browsing, other media consumption in indoor, outdoor and nighttime situations, how will these two screens differ? Obviously, the N6 PPI is much more dense and AMOLED adding more complications to the situation.

Fourth concern is against the N6 and that is the camera. The G4 has an absolutely phenomenal camera and I adore it. It has grabbed so many fantastic pictures and was an incredible upgrade from the Note 3. I realize that things could be somewhat preference based but how much worse is the N6 camera to both the 5x (same as the 6p from my understanding) and especially the N6?

I'm assuming battery life will work out to be about the same between the two.

32bit N6 vs the 64bit 5x? When will we expect to see an appreciable difference in not having a 64bit processor? How quickly are things moving to the new platform?

Resale value by the end of the year. This is another concern for me. If I want to purchase a new Nexus device in the fall, I'll obviously want to sell my current one. Give the assumed pricing of the N6 at $335+/- and the 5x at $249, which one will I be able to get the most out of for what I put in it? And, if you feel the 5x will significantly hold it's value better, do you think the trade-offs listed above will be too annoying or rather livable for the next 6-8 months?

This would probably be an easier decision towards the N6 if I could find one of the $299 deals for the 64gb size that were available back in Nov, Dec and again in Jan. But, I haven't seen anything like that for now. I wish budget didn't enter into but it does, especially with ongoing medical issues. I really am torn between the newer lower spec'd device and the older high end flagship that still out specs it. I could really use some advice and expertise from people who own at least one of the phones. I hope this is the best place to post this. If I should also post in the 5x forums and would get additional helpful info, I can easily do that. I know some forums frown on "double posting" but I'm not sure I can get the full perspective without that. The large size/smaller size won't really affect me. I know some felt the N6 too large but I use a bag, almost never pockets, so I don't care how actually "pocketable" the device is. If the 5x turns out to be the better value and you feel will perform adequately enough, I'm sure I'll be fine with that size, too. Any knowledge and insight you could share that would help me out of this quandary would be incredibly helpful. Thanks so much!

FYI........................I am a N6 user. Ordered the 6P but sold it. Not really enough of an upgrade to warrant the expense.
The camera on the N6 is absolutely awesome! Takes super duper pics, 13 megapixels in the rear and 2.1 megapixels in the front. Not sure why anyone would want anything more.
I have read that the 5X lags a bit. The screen does make a difference to me at least. Those peeps that believe in "retina" screens are zombies!!
Just checked and the 64gb version of the N6 is going for $284 on Amazon.
I really think the difference is worth the money for the screen and other details.
I currently have my N6 boot loader unlocked. The phone is rooted and running Dirty Unicorns. (great rom indeed)!

Attachments

• IMG_20150510_090028.jpg
    IMG_20150510_090028.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 100
That's awesome to hear about the camera, especially! And make me really happy!

What was the condition of the N6 on Amazon? That's lower than anything I saw yesterday and couldn't find that when I looked today... Although they have dropped a bit from a couple of days ago. I may end up trying one of those and seeing how it works for me. Thanks again.

If anyone else wants to add their thoughts, if love to hear!

Amazon must of had the phone only for a short time? I have used Swappa for a few deals and have had great luck with them. They currently show a 64gb version for $250. It is used but it is also listed as in mint condition as lots of folks keep their phones in mint condition! Your choice obviously.

Back
Top Bottom