• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NFC tag to play an audio file on soundcloud

How do I Program an NFC tag to play an audio file on soundcloud or my website? I want people to be able to tap their phone on the tag and for the nfc tag to go to soundcloud or my own website and play a file without having to press the play button on the website. I am preparing tags for an art exhibition installing tomorrow. I have been experimenting myself but can only get the tag to take me to the website and I then have to press the play button. Am I asking the impossible?

NFC tags themselves can only hold a site URL as a text string, the phone recognizes that and usually opens its default browser, or may give a choice of browsers if the user has more than one installed, but hasn't selected a default. So I think you'll need to find a way of making the server itself push the sound to the phone. Is it MP3 clips? I know it can be done, because site ads can make sounds and play videos with no user interaction, which is usually undesirable.

I have seen something like this been done in a museum with electronic tour guide tablets, that patrons can rent. They scan an NFC tag on an exhibit, and the tablet plays the relevant part of the tour commentary. But I think they're using a special purpose made device, and all the multimedia is stored on the device itself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom