• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No 3G Connection

Hi all! I've had my Milestone for about a month now and was digging it until I made the fatal flaw of deciding to try and manually update it to Froyo last night. I downloaded Motorola's Software Update program and connected my Milestone and let the program do it's business and ever since, I've been unable to get any sort of data connection (also, the updater just kept me at 2.1). I've tried everything from simply rebooting to hard setting back to factory settings to even trying the Software Update program, but still no 3G. Also, I think it's worth noting that in my Settings -> Wireless & Network -> Mobile Networks, I have no APN settings at all, just Data Roaming and System Select.

SO, I guess I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way to get my 3G back, because I love and miss it dearly. Here's my phone stats:

Model number: A854
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: C_01_07.00R
Kernel version: 2.6.29-omap1 dcn637@zch45lnxdroid24 #1
Build number: MILER_X1_00.26.1

Thanks so much for your help!

Who is your carrier? You'll need an APN profile in order to have a data connection. You can get the APN settings from your carrier's website most likely.

My carrier is Alltel; I have no way of adding APN though... I don't see it anywhere in my settings.
When you said you "have no APN settings at all", did you mean that the Access Point Names menu item doesn't even appear in the list? If it does, you need to click on it.

You can get there by clicking settings -> Wireless & Network Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names. When you're on that screen (which, if you have no APNs, should be blank) press the menu key and an option for "new APN" will popup. Fill in the details based on Alltell's network, and call it whatever you wish.

I think something went wrong while you were updating to froyo. Try to manually flash Froyo with RSDLite and an SBF from here sbf:milestone221 [And Developers][]=milestone&s[]=sbf&s[]=2

Quick manual: put your phone in boatloader (hold down the upper button (towards the phone) of the D-pad while turning on the phone). Connect your phone with your USB. In RSDlite select the file you downloaded and launch it.

You can read this manual if my explantions aren't good enough (you can stop after step #7 if you do not wish to root your phone).
http://androidforums.com/milestone-all-things-root/75460-milestone-2-1-update-root-guide.html

The US. I installed an SBF that matched mine (MILER something or other) and RSD Lite said 'PASS' and everything seemed fine but I'm still getting no 3G connection.

Now that I re-read your first post, I believe you actually have a CDMA Milestone. Your model number is A854, while our Milestones are A853. Check with the Motorola Droid forum for help instead. This might be part of your problem.

Now that I re-read your first post, I believe you actually have a CDMA Milestone. Your model number is A854, while our Milestones are A853. Check with the Motorola Droid forum for help instead. This might be part of your problem.

Yes, if you're Milestone is a A854 you have to flash Droid ROM's on it.
Good tighr saw that cause i missed it. :)

Back
Top Bottom