• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No auto brightness?

I use the LUX autobrightness program. There is no battery drain issue as the 'auto' brightness only happen one time when you unlock the screen. This way if you unlock your phone outdoor it can go to max brightness automatically and if you unlock your screen at night, it won't be blinding bright.
It uses your front camera to sense light.
I would suggest disabling the brightness transition so that it just jumps to the right brightness.

Keep in mind that it only adjust brightness once per screen unlock. So you use your pone while you are moving around from dim to bright area, it won't change the brightness automatically.
You would have to lock the phone and unlock.

Reactions: spocko and bg4m3r
Upvote 0
Except when you can't see the screen because it's all bright outside and your screen is dim.
Edited my brightness quick setting 2nd from the left so I know right where it is, no problem finding it even with a dim screen.
LG seems to leave out the light sensor on a lot of their lower/mid level devices, hard to complain if you don't research the specs on the device.

Upvote 0
Edited my brightness quick setting 2nd from the left so I know right where it is, no problem finding it even with a dim screen.
LG seems to leave out the light sensor on a lot of their lower/mid level devices, hard to complain if you don't research the specs on the device.
So I'm assuming you don't have a lock on your phone. Makes it a little bit harder.
Also, I'm not the one complaining. I was just making a counter point.

Upvote 0
So I'm assuming you don't have a lock on your phone. Makes it a little bit harder.
Also, I'm not the one complaining. I was just making a counter point.
My apologies as far as complaining, I was only saying that in general terms.
Since it does not have a light sensor, my counter would be to take an additional second to turn your back to the sun if you have a lock on it. Even on auto brightness in full sun it can be hard to enter PIN, etc.
I would rather it had a light sensor as well and I guess one would have to ask how much does LG really save by leaving it out? At $180 retail I would not have considered it, but at $40 it was a non issue.

Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
My apologies as far as complaining, I was only saying that in general terms.
Since it does not have a light sensor, my counter would be to take an additional second to turn your back to the sun if you have a lock on it. Even on auto brightness in full sun it can be hard to enter PIN, etc.
I would rather it had a light sensor as well and I guess one would have to ask how much does LG really save by leaving it out? At $180 retail I would not have considered it, but at $40 it was a non issue.
If you use the lux app then it will have auto brightness.
When you turn on the screen, it will change the brightness before you need to enter the pin.
This would take care of 90% of the need for auto brightness.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones