• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root No more OTG - Use any network share as mounted drive!

darkuni

Android Enthusiast
I got a new tutorial for everyone. Use any network share as a MOUNTED DEVICE on your new 7" tablet!

ROOT IS REQUIRED - no custom roms or kernels .. just root and a little time.

I have all my emulation files, videos, music - EVERYTHING of mine - sitting on a giant 3TB GoFlex Drive - seamlessly on my Nexus. I'm stunned this is even possible. Insane. Any questions or problems, let me know.

Hope you enjoy it!

Nexus 7 Tutorial: Use Network Share as a Mount Point | Review Lagoon

How do I grant mount manager root access?

Oops, never mind - something popped up for it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Heh, yeah ... it kinda depends on which version of SU you're using - each one behaves a tad different.

So you got it up and running? Man, this is like uber freedom to me. I've been using it a lot.

I got CNA 3.5 on my Nexus phone and it has CIFS built in - so I literally had to install Mount Manager and poof ... I was good.

Now I can easily share my Titanium Backup data between the devices ....

Well, this thread is about NOT using OTG or an import utility ... Surely there is a more appropriate thread dealing with OTG?

But ... since I don't want to be a dick ... :)

Several possibilities ... what video format? AVI/XVID? MKV? What media player are you using? What type of storage device are you accessing with OTG? If it's a microSD card, what's the Class? How big is it?

You're probably going to have issues playing HD video files from a flash device across OTG.

i just use ES File Explorer

Right ... and unless your application is network streaming aware .. it will FULLY DOWNLOAD the file before running/playing it.

This doesn't require downloading. EVERYTHING "streams". The app doesn't have to support it - so if you like "Media Player X" and it doesn't stream across a network - ES will download it - then play it.

The idea is that this connectivity method is INVISIBLE to the OS ... it THINKS it's a local drive - so ANY app behaves.

Not yet. Do I need samba on my PC for this to work?

Nope .. just a network share.

Did you follow the guide? You need to have a PATH to the share like:

192.168.1.xxx/<shared folder name>

The mount point you're using must exist - make a folder ahead of time if you need to.

Where are you at that it is failing? Can you hit the share with a standard SMB-equipped file manager (ES, File Expert, X-Plore, etc)?

Hmm....it wasn't working and wasn't working, and then suddenly it started working. The only thing I did different just before it started working was I clicked on "login" instead of just "OK." Just so you know, in case someone else had the same problem.

I LOVE that this streams without a hitch directly from my PC!!!!

Thank you for posting this!! This is awesome!!!

You're welcome! Like I said - it has really changed my life with my Nexus 7 and my phone - having access to ALL my crap without cables, downloading, etc.

Glad you got it working!

Right ... and unless your application is network streaming aware .. it will FULLY DOWNLOAD the file before running/playing it.

This doesn't require downloading. EVERYTHING "streams". The app doesn't have to support it - so if you like "Media Player X" and it doesn't stream across a network - ES will download it - then play it.

The idea is that this connectivity method is INVISIBLE to the OS ... it THINKS it's a local drive - so ANY app behaves.

Hmm i didnt know that.. How come i watched 8gb movie when my nexus 7 has only 3.2gb of available space? I think that es file explorer is capable to streaming media over home network. I just go to lan settings tap on new server and it finds servers ip from where i stream my media

Well, just using es file explorer will still work, yes, but the method described above is much better.

Note: I updated the OP. This method no longer works on 4.1.2. You'll need a custom kernel (like the latest franco) to continue to enjoy using CIFS. I'll update the tutorial and this thread if and when new CIFS.KO files are posted that work.

My new article may appeal to readers of my thread ...

Nexus: Learning to Live Without An SD Card

While Apple users are quite used to (and apparently content with) not having a microSD card slot on their phones and tablets, a lot of Android users consider it a God-given right. Unfortunately, the latest (and greatest) devices coming out seem to be bereft of removable storage solutions. This includes the beloved Nexus line from Google and its affiliates.
In this article, we

4TB USB disk attached to my phone..
Screenshot_20190611_161941.jpg

The video was 7 years ago, and things do go away eventually.

Since all phones support OTG now, which wasn't the case when it was first posted, I'd say that it's irrelevant now anyway. Plus according to one post in the thread to solution required root, and unless you are rooted already it really isn't worth rooting to do something you can do anyway out of the box with a few £/$/€/¥ adapter.

Back
Top Bottom