• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No Touch capabilities, need to change USB settings

mhelf17

Lurker
My phone has a heavily damaged screen. Colors are displayed in lines but I can't do anything with the touch screen. I'm trying to get the data off it by connecting via USB to my PC. However, the current USB setting must be defaulted to "charging." I need to get it changed to "data transfer." I am currently unable to do that without a touch screen. I called T-Mobile and Sony both, and didn't get an answer from either. I know that the port works, I know that the phone works because it is also receiving data and rings and notifications, etc. I can power it on and off and all ports remain functional.

Please help. This has almost all of our baby photos on it and I just want to get the data back as quickly as possible. I am a tech too so if there is a crazy hack please let me know.

you know you can use any usb device with the z3 near enough like a wireless usb keyboard as it supports usb on the go so you could still utilise it but as you say you cant see the screen your going to have to find a way to output that to another display somehow i dont know if one of those mhl-hdmi adapters would automatically do that but for that you would need a usb hub to use 2 devices and i dont think that would necessarily work if it's using the usb port for outputting video, but then you could write down what keypresses or steps/actions you could take on the device to enable the settings you need and perhaps connect a usb keyboard too so it would pair automatically hope this helps in some way.

Back