• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Not happy with image geolocation

jeffdlb

Android Enthusiast
One of the reasons I selected the Motorola Photon was that its GPS was supposedly better and faster than that of the Samsung Epic 4G Touch. GPS seems to work fine in maps, but I am very disappointed with its integration (or lack thereof) with the camera application.

(1) When I take a picture, geolocation info is not included (or is obtained so slowly as to not be available at the time I want to take a picture). This is true even after turning on the GPS, verifying that my phone knows my location on Google Maps, and then taking the picture. No location info is recorded with the photo.

(2) The map interface to manually assign a location is very poor. Instead of clicking on the map where the photo was taken, you click on the image you want to geolocate. If you lift your finger, the location is then set below the bottom edge of the map (i.e, not where you want it). If you push and hold the locator icon you can drag it to a point on the map, but your finger is then blocking the target point of the icon, which makes accurate positioning difficult. The UI should instead be (a) click on desired image and (b) click on map position.

Am I doing something wrong? Does anybody have solutions for problems #1 or #2?

Back