• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Not Receiving Text

Hi, first time poster.
I've had my Droid Maxx for about a year and recently I have been experiencing an issue that involves my texts. I am simply not receiving some of them if they are contained in a group chat. I can only access them if I go to the individual contact and select ¨download message¨ Any easy fix for this? Consistently getting 2-3 bars for 4g

Have you restricted your background data? This may be the problem. Lemme, check..... someone posted something on this a long time ago.....

Are you using the stock SMS app? Try something else; Hangouts, Google Messenger and Textra all work well.

I still get this occasionally (I'm using HO's), I like to blame Apple since it seems to only be an issue with iPhone users for me.
Quoting to +1.

The stock messaging app has this problem, frequently. I've been using Google Messenger from the Play Store and it's been solid since I started using it.

And, yes, when I had this issue, it was always with iPhone users. (Though it's usually me who is the only non-iPhone user in the group...)

Oh good point about the iphone users! I've been using Message + and have no problems with group chat.

I've been using the new google messenger app
Did you ever install textra and not uninstall it?

I ask because even if textra is not the default sms app it will still download some MMS messages in the background before the default app can get to them. If you then open textra you'll see the messages.

This has happened to me a couple of times.

If it's not that, then I'd guess that you have periods of bad mobile data coverage. MMS messages for almost all apps requires a mobile data connection to download. Even if you have good wifi connectivity, the phone will temporarily switch over to mobile data to download the media (data is not counted against our plan) .

However, I believe the verizon messages app will allow wifi download of the media parts, too, ironically. So, if you are having this problem often, maybe try that app out?

I personally don't like it, but, I'm a case like this, I'd switch in an instant.

And, again, one last app to try is textra. For some reason it seems to be better about getting MMS messages. I go back and forth between Google messenger and textra because I like textra a lot but every once in a while something weird happens so I switch back. That's how I found out about the app downloading media in the background when it's not the default app...

Back
Top Bottom