• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Note 7 - Rooting Prospects?

johnpjackson

Android Enthusiast
Ok, few or none of us has even received our Note 7 yet, since it's not scheduled to ship until August 19th. However, I'm already thinking ahead to rooting. On my Note 3, I didn't root, but I did become a total believer in the capabilities of the bandit 'MoboClean' . If you haven't heard of it, it is an app that doesn't require root but allows you to control the system resources that other apps can access. It does its magic by installing itself as a wrapper around the apk of other apps. Google kicked it out of the Play store because it called that tampering with other apps. I can't disagree with that characterization, but it doesn't matter to me. Before I started using MoboClean, I pretty much destroyed a lot of the life of my device batteries through the problem of having apps either purposefully or buggily hogging resources like location data, access to wifi and cell data, etc. And sometimes it appears that it was the multiple demands of many different apps, all entitled to start up and run in the background, conflicting with each other, that also caused many of the situations where the system just would eat the battery alive. By using MoboClean to severely curtail what apps could start up automatically, and continue to run in the background, or access location data, etc., I totally eliminated those kinds of problems from ever biting me again.

So, now that I'm going to be getting a Note 7, I'd really like to have a way to once again prevent those issues from recurring, by precluding the possibilities for them in the first place. MoboClean seems to have gone into hiding and never even released a new version compatible with Android 6. If they remain dead and buried, I'm hoping that there will be some other similarly intended tool, albeit one that does its work differently. That usually requires root.

Does anyone have any thoughts or expectations about rooting the Note 7, or in lieu of that, some kind of app or technique that allows the device owner to have full control over what any/all apps can access in the system?

Permission control in Marshmallow kinda negates anything moboclean does and I'd much prefer it done at OS level as opposed to having a shady 3rd Party app modify the apks....

Given the difficulties devs had cracking the S7 and S7 Edge, I wouldn't be overly hopeful about an early root method. In fact, it'll be pretty much near impossible after the device gets updated to 7.0

Ok, few or none of us has even received our Note 7 yet, since it's not scheduled to ship until August 19th. However, I'm already thinking ahead to rooting. On my Note 3, I didn't root, but I did become a total believer in the capabilities of the bandit 'MoboClean' . If you haven't heard of it, it is an app that doesn't require root but allows you to control the system resources that other apps can access. It does its magic by installing itself as a wrapper around the apk of other apps. Google kicked it out of the Play store because it called that tampering with other apps. I can't disagree with that characterization, but it doesn't matter to me. Before I started using MoboClean, I pretty much destroyed a lot of the life of my device batteries through the problem of having apps either purposefully or buggily hogging resources like location data, access to wifi and cell data, etc. And sometimes it appears that it was the multiple demands of many different apps, all entitled to start up and run in the background, conflicting with each other, that also caused many of the situations where the system just would eat the battery alive. By using MoboClean to severely curtail what apps could start up automatically, and continue to run in the background, or access location data, etc., I totally eliminated those kinds of problems from ever biting me again.

So, now that I'm going to be getting a Note 7, I'd really like to have a way to once again prevent those issues from recurring, by precluding the possibilities for them in the first place. MoboClean seems to have gone into hiding and never even released a new version compatible with Android 6. If they remain dead and buried, I'm hoping that there will be some other similarly intended tool, albeit one that does its work differently. That usually requires root.

Does anyone have any thoughts or expectations about rooting the Note 7, or in lieu of that, some kind of app or technique that allows the device owner to have full control over what any/all apps can access in the system?

Won't rooting disable KnoX?

Permission control in Marshmallow kinda negates anything moboclean does and I'd much prefer it done at OS level as opposed to having a shady 3rd Party app modify the apks....

Given the difficulties devs had cracking the S7 and S7 Edge, I wouldn't be overly hopeful about an early root method. In fact, it'll be pretty much near impossible after the device gets updated to 7.0

Impossible? Seriously? I'll be sorry to see rooting a thing of the past.

If your bootloader is unlockable, you're fine, but any modifications to the system partition if it isn't and the device won't boot.

Given most OEMs aside from Samsung offer an official bootloader unlock, it won't be an issue for most non Samsung users.

Back
Top Bottom