• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Noticing a lack of N3 battery threads...

Jerry-rigged

Android Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2010
Texas
Howdy all!

Getting close to new phone time, and the N3 is on my short list. My last phones have been a Gnex and GSIII, both of which can't make it thru the day without a break on the charging cable. Battery life is something I am wanting - without getting a big 'humpback' aftermarket battery.

So I came here to look for battery life threads, and don't see many. There are a few threads on the 'Zerolemon' 10kmah batteries, but almost none on the stock battery.

What is the story? Is everyone actually happy with battery life? Can I expect to actually USE the phone and make it thru the day without a charge? I know a few people with Note 2's, and they have told me they can use their phone a lot and still have 50% or better at the end of the day, sometimes going 2 days on one charge. Is this similar on the Note 3?

Thanks,
Jerry

There's no amount of usge that's "normal". I can be on the phone all day, making calls and downloading data, running GPS, and using apps that eat a lot of battery, and have to recharge more than once a day. I can have a day where I use a few apps and make a few calls and go 2 days on a charge. On the same phone with the same battery.

I learned a long tiime ago (back when cellphones were starting to get cameras in them) to always carry a spare battery in my pocket. No matter how long the battery lasts, there's always going to be a time that it dies just when you need it most. Then thet fully charged battery in your pocket is a lot better than a charger - especially if there's no place to plug a charger in. (And that was when batteries were $50 and up. You can get 2 good Note 3 batteries and a charger for under $30.) If you can't get through a whole dayon 2 fully charged batteries, call your friends - you need an intervention - and a surgeon who can remove that phone from your ear.

Reactions: Jerry-rigged
Upvote 0
I never had a Note 2, but the Note 3 has the best battery life of any Android phone I've had (and that's been a bunch). In fact, it's better than the last two BlackBerry phones I had including a BBOS7.1 device. Over the weekend, I went to a day-long seminar and even after four hours of note taking, had 38% at the end of the day. Other people were looking for outlets to plug in their phones (that weren't used for note taking). I wouldn't try two days, but this is a real all-day phone (in my opinion).

Upvote 0
If you can't get through a whole dayon 2 fully charged batteries, call your friends - you need an intervention - and a surgeon who can remove that phone from your ear.

I get the feeling - I haven't checked - that it's not the phone calls using the battery up so much. It's other stuff. I think if you spent all day on the phone you might not flatten it. I'd be interested to know.

The other coping mechanism involves strategic chargers wherever you might be - including in the car. Or you can make sure you have a Power bank - an external battery slug with which to recharge your phone several times. Since I can easily be away from power for 48 hours, I have one of those fully charged around good for several "refills". I also carry spare batteries.

If you don't flatten your Note 3 after six or so hours, I personally would deem you to be a light user.

Yourmileage.gif

Upvote 0
Like Rukbat said, it's hard to compare usage between people, we all use our phones differently and even the use of 1 or 2 different apps can greatly skew the numbers. I will say, I had a Note 2 and I've been very happy with the battery life of the 3. I'm rooted and running a custom ROM and I feel like I got even better battery life than bone stock.

I never make it a full day on a battery. I make it through the workday no problem at all. But where we live highspeed internet is not available, so as soon as I get home, mine becomes the wifi hotspot for everyone in the house. (unlimited data plan). I also have 2 spare batteries and one is always with me no matter what. I hate being tethered to a charging cable so being able to swap batteries is a must.

Upvote 0
I get the feeling - I haven't checked - that it's not the phone calls using the battery up so much. It's other stuff. I think if you spent all day on the phone you might not flatten it. I'd be interested to know.
You're most likely correct. I generally use about as many apps as the phone has RAM enough to run without slowing down too much. Ham radio apps, astronomy apps, text editors ... if there were compilers and emulators for Android I'd probably be writing and compiling programs and testing them on my phone.

Upvote 0
...and I'll plug the Zero Lemon 10,000mAH solution. Yup, it's physically big. But I don't care. It easily lasts 2-4 days between charges. I don't have to think twice about how much I want to use it. I've never enjoyed a battery powered device experience as much as this one :)

-John

I will also put in a super plug for the ZeroLemon 10000 mAH battery. It really takes you several extra miles!.

Upvote 0
Thanks ya'll.

I understand the different apps/different usage/different battery life arguments. However, with my GS3, I can try to conserve, avoiding apps I know are heavy battery users, and still need to charge once or twice a day.

Sounds like with the Note3 it will be much better - I will almost have to try to kill it.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have no issue with the battery life, and I think others don't either in part because it charges so quickly. Even from dead it will be fully charged in 2 hours. (Mains socket that is)
For my Galaxy S2 I had and needed a spare but with the Note 3 it's not worth it.

Indeed the charging Speed was one of the things that startled me about the speed of the Note 3 after the processor Speed.

It reminded me of the 4 Amp high speed external charger I bought for the Galaxy S3 that reached 25% in 1 hour and full charge in 6

Upvote 0
I had the Note 2 with extra batteries. Not because my phone was dying fast but because I didn't have to concern myself with finding a place to charge.

With the Note 3 I've had phenomenal battery life up til a few days ago right after the update.
That's been resolved and I'm back to being happy again with my battery life.

I might get a spare later on but for now it's not important. I'm on my phone literally all day either on calls or apps.

Upvote 0
My battery lasts between 8 and 10 hours. It will use GPS (Sygic) navigating me for around three hours driving from site to site. Take or make around ten calls of approx 2-5 minutes, browse the Web for at least an hour and power a USB flash drive for perhaps a quarter of an hour. The screen is always full brightness when on.

Currently my phone has been on for 13 and a half hours on a low usage day and I'm showing 63% battery. I have only taken or made three calls today and used Sygic for around half an hour though.

The problem with battery life discussions is that there is no definitive, the length of time your battery lasts is subjective. Suffice to say you will get a general idea only whether the battery is lasting long enough.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones