• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Notification - Detecting WiFi Signals Needs Location Permissions

PREMIS

Lurker
I am getting a notification on the bottom of my screen that says "Detecting WiFi Signals Needs Location Permissions". The message pops up constantly, some times every 5 minutes, sometimes multiple times in a single minute. Has anyone else seen this or know how to get it to stop? I'm not even sure what app is creating it.

detecting wifi.jpg

Yep. It's from a recently installed app alright.
You'll need to go thru each one since there's no other way to find the culprit.
Or install an ad blocker from the play store that blocks ads in all apps, adguard, no root firewall, etc...

That's what I was worried about. It's a new phone so all the apps are new. I guess I have a lot of testing to do.

It looks from this developer post as if any app that does WiFi scanning will require this permission (presumably including system apps). So the quickest thing is to consider any app you have installed which has WiFi network scanning amongst its functions.

You could also try AppWatch from the Playstore. It will allow you to see which app is sending you notifications: (ad supported)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tafayor.appwatch

✓ Turn on the switch "Start monitoring"
✓ Exit the app and start using your phone normally
✓ When a pop-up ad randomly appears on your screen; Open AppWatch from the notification bar , and you will find in the activity log the latest launched app, which should normally be the app who showed the annoying ads.

Back
Top Bottom