• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Offline GPS Nav app

fldude99

Android Expert
I'm traveling to Europe and will rent a car and tour around France & Germany. I'd like to use the Transformer as a GPS nav device. Has anyone had any luck with anything? It obviously has to to self containe and function totally offline. Thanks!

Mapdroyd is free and works well, but it will only show you on a map where you are, not give turn by turn directions. .There ARE some out there, but expect to pay.

And I'd definitely take a car charger so it doesn't die in the middle of the trip- Euro cars have the same 12V power ours do, trick is finding a car-USB adapter that pushes enough power. It would need to be USB3, original and USB2 don't send enough amps.

Thanks for the replies guys. I installed Sygic since it has a 2 week trial. I'm definitely figuring it will cost. We also travel to S America frequently and have used mapdroyd, but as mentioned its only good for locating yourself. Would be nice if Navigon had a free trial. I may go ahead and give sygic 60 euros for their pkg of Europe, North America, Africa and parts of S America and be done with it. Using sygic during the trial has been quite impressive actually. It's amazing how nice it is to have nav on a tablet instead of a little 4 inch screen.. Especially for my 50+ eyes

Mapdroyd is free and works well, but it will only show you on a map where you are, not give turn by turn directions. .There ARE some out there, but expect to pay.

And I'd definitely take a car charger so it doesn't die in the middle of the trip- Euro cars have the same 12V power ours do, trick is finding a car-USB adapter that pushes enough power. It would need to be USB3, original and USB2 don't send enough amps.

Thanks for the tip on the charger. I picked up a Belkin from Walmart that puts out 2 amps. It's like a trickle charge but better than nothing. Having the keyboard fully charged will help in a pinch but then it's kinda cumbersome. The belkin just about keeps the device from losing charge while in use, but barely.

I got round the problem of the in car charger by buying a cig lighter inverter from asdas for fifteen pound. All i do is plug my mains charger into the inverter so get enough power. Works well.

Back