• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Opening the Dialer no longer launches the keypad?

JCUMV

Hi all,
I'm hoping there is setting I haven't found. I had the original Droid Incredible for 4 years; love it, but it finally died. Decided to try the Apple thing and went to a iPhone 5s. Have missed too many things about Android the past 2.5 years, and looking to change back to a S7. My wife has the S5. Anyway, the single biggest thing I miss about my Incredible is launching the Dialer app and typing the person's name on the keypad, and watching the names get filtered down above the keypad. My wife's S5 works this way too. My iPhone 5s: when you open the Dialer goes to the sub screen you were last one, and there are 4... Favorites, Recents, Contacts, Keypad, and Voicemail. Even if you press Keypad sub menu at bottom, there is no filtering. I have to use the damn Contacts list and try to press that tiny letter along the ride side (which I always miss). If I'm lucky, they're in my Recents list, but that's rare. I'm in sales and make many many phone calls to different people, so the Recents list is not a huge help for me.

Fast forward to this past weekend where I was at the Verizon store checking out the S7. Come to find out the Dialer works the exact same way! Except for the small fact you can press the little button on the bottom right and flip back and forth. At least the Keypad let's you filter. But this is a big deal to me. I want to open the Dialer app, land on the keypad, and start keying in the person name and seeing the listing. Is this no longer available in the new version of Touchwiz?

Thanks.

Just use the contacts list to find the name you want, rather than the dialler. You can type the name in there in the search box at the top. You can speak the name as well by tapping the mic button if you want.

Last edited:
It's twice as many keyboard touches to do that way. And using voice isn't always an option depending on my surroundings. It sounds like that functionality has been removed. Amazing how they're making the Galaxy more and more like the iPhone, which sucks. Integrated battery, and now the dialer is almost exactly the same. Hmmm.

Tough :) it literally takes a second for me to find a contact from the 1st name and call or text them, i really don't see the issue.

In contacts, I usually just scroll down the list to the first letter i want then find the person and call, no need to type in their name really. Once you have selected them you can just put the phone to your ear and it will call them auto (if you have that setting on).

from my experience it just returns to the screen you last used, whether it was dialer or contacts it will return there when you reopen the phone app

I just tried this. If I open the dialer, then leave the app, or make a call, when I come back it is still on the dialer. I can type in the dialer and it will find numbers or names that match. Sounds like just what you wanted? As long as the dialer was the last part of the phone app that was used, when you come back to the app it is still open there. What did I miss?

^ I've found that same thing. If I never leave the dialer, all is good. But if I happen to jump to the Recents list, make the call, then close the dialer app; the next time I come into it, I'm on the Recents tab, not the dialer keyboard. You guys are probably used to this, but to me it's crappy. I'll just have to deal with it. It basically behaves the way my iPhone does and that's not a good thing. I guess I could also consider rooting and finding a ROM that does it the old way :)

The thing about Android is that if the stock app doesn't do what you want it to do, just use a different app. I recently found a dialer app I love that's completely customizable and free. I checked and it has the functionality you mentioned. It's called "True Phone Dialer & Contacts" by Hamster Beat in the Google Play store. You can replace your phone shortcut with the shortcut to this app. I'm not sure if the shortcut to this app normally shows the number of missed calls if you're using the built-in launcher. I use Nova Launcher and was able to set it up where this worked using the "unread count badges" settings. Hope this helps. I hate it when you ask for help trying to get something to work the way you want it to work and instead of helping, someone spends the whole time trying to convince you that you don't need what you're asking for.

Edit: Have just found out that True Phone Dialer & Contacts isn't free. It was a trial that costs $5 when the trial is over. Otherwise, you get ads at the top.

Last edited:
...I hate it when you ask for help trying to get something to work the way you want it to work and instead of helping, someone spends the whole time trying to convince you that you don't need what you're asking for.

I assume you're talking about me. I wasn't trying to convince him to do anything, i was suggesting what he's trying to do takes longer than looking up a contact instead of using the dialler, i was in fact trying to help, so i don't appreciate you suggesting otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom