• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Opera Mini 7 really sucks!

fightingirish

I was initially excited about the release of Opera Mini 7. The old version was a fantastic browser that just needed some updating. So, Version 7 was released. It seemed fine at first, then after each successive update, it just became straight-up awful. Web pages rendered really bland and ugly, Google searches lead to their own bastardized 'mobile' version (at least I figured out how to put Bing in the search bar) and some pages are just unusable (try and do a Wikipedia search from their site!).

And after I updated the ROM yesterday and reinstalled the custom system font, Opera showed all text as invisible (the other apps showed it no problem). I finally realized something -- Opera Mini has been bastardized! I pulled up a few pages in other browsers and was impressed about how good they looked, and how terrible pages in Mini looked. And at this point, Mini was unusable.

As I didn't have a backup of Mini 6.5, I had to do a little web searching, which led me to an apk of it. I uninstalled Mini 7 and loaded up the old version. The difference is night and day! Mini 6.5 is amazing, just like I remembered! Much faster, much more stable, more functional and the pages actually load correctly (custom font and all)!

So, for now, it's goodbye to the new Opera Mini, and hello to the tried and true. Why do so many companies ruin their products via updates gone wrong?

Back
Top Bottom