• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OTA updates on non-contract phone?

grrgoyl

I'm in the middle of a T-Mobile 2-year contract but really, really, really wanted the Cliq XT. Didn't want to pay full $500-whatever retail and not eligible for TMo's rebates, so I bought one from Craigslist. I was on a G1 previously so I switched it to an Android data plan and seem to be good to go.

My question is it's a TMo phone, will I still get OTA updates if they don't know I own it? If not, is there a manual way for me to update firmware?

I'm in the middle of a T-Mobile 2-year contract but really, really, really wanted the Cliq XT. Didn't want to pay full $500-whatever retail and not eligible for TMo's rebates, so I bought one from Craigslist. I was on a G1 previously so I switched it to an Android data plan and seem to be good to go.

My question is it's a TMo phone, will I still get OTA updates if they don't know I own it? If not, is there a manual way for me to update firmware?

By the way, the full price for the XT is approx $329 (not that bad really)

By the way, the full price for the XT is approx $329 (not that bad really)

No, that's not bad, but more than I could afford ;) The TMo guy told me I would have to carry two data plans (for the Cliq and for my old G1 -- I'm planning to sell the G1) but that's because I was trying to get a rebate price by adding another line. I hate all the hoops they make you jump through. I think the price at the TMo store was $399 unrebated, WAY more than I could afford.

So you won't have a contract/data package with Tmo for your XT correct?

If that is the case then you will not get the update. The only way to do that would be to root your phone.

If that is the case then you will not get the update. The only way to do that would be to root your phone.

I have the Android data package. I guess the question is whether the updates are tied to the phone, the data package or the SIM card. Would changing my phone in my TMo website profile help? I've done that before with an unlocked Moto Q9h and TMo didn't bat an eye.

I'm not interested in rooting, that seems like a big ocean of unknown and I don't want to swim that far. Isn't there an option of getting it over the internet and installing via SD card?

If that is the case then you will not get the update. The only way to do tha

I have the Android data package. I guess the question is whether the updates are tied to the phone, the data package or the SIM card. Would changing my phone in my TMo website profile help? I've done that before with an unlocked Moto Q9h and TMo didn't bat an eye.

I'm not interested in rooting, that seems like a big ocean of unknown and I don't want to swim that far. Isn't there an option of getting it over the internet and installing via SD card?

Oh ok. I got you. You should be fine then. I don't see any reason you shouldn't get the update.

Sent from my Cliq XT using Tapatalk

No, that's not bad, but more than I could afford ;) The TMo guy told me I would have to carry two data plans (for the Cliq and for my old G1 -- I'm planning to sell the G1) but that's because I was trying to get a rebate price by adding another line. I hate all the hoops they make you jump through. I think the price at the TMo store was $399 unrebated, WAY more than I could afford.

I feel your pain. I'm actually keeping "plan c" in the back of my mind for later. If necessary I can add another line to get the rebate even though I don't really need it, but I could find a reason if it'll save me $2-300. The things we do.... :D

I feel your pain. I'm actually keeping "plan c" in the back of my mind for later. If necessary I can add another line to get the rebate even though I don't really need it, but I could find a reason if it'll save me $2-300. The things we do.... :D

Don't get me started! I have strong opinions on how everything is set up. I think they shoot themselves in the foot making it so hard to get a new phone, considering all the gadget freaks and early adopters out there. They (we) just go to eBay and Craigslist and get the phone anyway, so why wouldn't they want that money in their pockets?

I'm probably really naive about the inner workings of cell phone manufacturing though. :o

I totally would have gone with the add-a-line plan before the guy insisted I needed two data plans. Pay an extra $40 a month ($65 total) for internet on one phone? No thanks!

Back
Top Bottom