• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTHER than 3G T-Mobile internet plan

Dimath

Sep 11, 2008
Hi everyone,

I am wondering If one I use G1 with T-MobileWeb GPRS service plan. I know that the official answer is "no, you have to subscribe to 3G internet for $25, bla bla...". But seriously, up to now, I have the phone and I don't have the 3G service in my T-mobile account. So, why shouldn't it work with GPRS?

The 3G was working for a week after I got the phone, then it stopped. I heard that I have to call to support and ask them to add 3G service to my account, or to do it online (can't figure out how to do it, btw). But, can I just configure the phone to use T-MobileWeb GPRS internet instead? It's $5 only, so, it has a point.

Any ideas?

Everyone who pre-ordered a g1 got temporary Data Access for the first week or so. Then they were supposed to clear whatever data and SMS plans you had prior to purchasing the G1 (this was mentioned during the ordering process online, BTW) and add whatever G1 Data Plan you selected for your phone.

Only there was a problem, and some people (Like Me!) didn't get their data access restored during the switch. I had to go into T-Mobile.com and add it back in manually. Some people called customer service and had it added back in that way.

Here's how you change it at T-Mobile.com

1. Log into your account
2. Roll your mouse over the pink menu bar, roll over the "My Account" part, a drop down will roll down with some options.
3. Click on "change services"
4. Select the plan you want for your G1. in the "required services" section.

As to whether "Web and Apps" (the name of the service you're talking about) will work with the G1? I don't know. I do know that since it's designed for use with a regular phone, it probably will not give you all the features that the 3G plan gives you.

It's been rumored that T-Mobile does monitor traffic and if you're using that plan with a G1, they'll be able to tell by the traffic and will probably send you a message politely telling you that you don't have the right data plan for your phone and to please call or go online to change to a G1 data plan.

It's also been rumored that tinkering with your phone to get it to work with one of the non-G1 data plans may be a violation of the terms of service and or your contract.

So while it may be possible, and cheaper, it sounds like it could end up being more trouble than it is worth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones