• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Over Clock kernel ?

I don't even know why I was trying to do the whole HTC Dumlock thing, and it never really worked... The "Execute HTC Dumlock" step 10 never worked because I get a "(fail)" after the operation completes, and then I tried flashing the boot.img from TWRP and that killed my WiFi and never changed the kernel... lol

All I had to do to fix WiFi and flash the kernel correctly was this which is from one of CafeKampuchia's posts...

1. Start the phone in bootloader
2. Connect the USB cable and select FASTBOOT on the phone (changes to FASTBOOT USB)
3. Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder where you installed ADB and downloaded the boot.img.
4. Open a command prompt in Windows (Start > Run > CMD) and type the command: fastboot flash boot boot.img

...which I knew all along since I've seen these instructions many times over... but the anxiety got the better of me!!

I got JMZ's ICS kernel going now and installed No Frills CPU Control, so now I got to figure out what the ideal Max/Min frequencies should be, and which Governor and I/O Scheduler I should use for best performance and battery life...

What do you guys suggest, or which do you use?

Upvote 0
Jaay, I can't believe that you still haven't been able to flash the kernel!! lol I'm very inexperienced, so I just don't know how much help I can be...

Have you even check if the kernel itself has changed, you know, like the name?

I abandoned CWM and the stock ROM backup I made the moment I flashed TWRP from my PC. After that, I backed up a couple things such as my texts, but not the actual ROM. I then wiped everything through TWRP and installed a fresh copy JmzOneV4. Then I flashed the boot.img (from PC) I got from JMZ's ICS kernel download, installed No Frills CPU Control, and that was it. This time I actually noticed that the kernel name changed and included JMZ's name, so I knew it had flashed correctly. I raised my frequency from 1ghz to 1.4ghz and my Quadrant score went from 2088 to 2411 just like that. :)

If you have VM's One V (PrimoC) then go here "primoc.hackadroid.info" and get TWRP recovery, JmzOneV4 ROM, and the ICS Kernel, and try again. :/

Upvote 0
Oh I can flash it just fine it's just that nothing happens, So I quit messing with it. I also been playing with my version of sense "The Aftermath" (my rom)
Scratch that got it working .

Wait, so you can OC now? :) I just realized that you also had to flash it in recovery besides just through the fastboot... and that's what got my wifi working earlier. Such a big time noob right here!! :D

Upvote 0
This is my current setting so far. As far as what does what...honestly I'm messing with it and learning as I go. I honestly couldn't tell you what this stuff means xD

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347158043812.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347158043812.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 0
This is my current setting so far. As far as what does what...honestly I'm messing with it and learning as I go. I honestly couldn't tell you what this stuff means xD
Well max and min are pretty self explanatory.

The governor determines how quickly the cpu gets ramped up or down. If you post your options here I can make a recommendation. I would immediately suggest you not use performance governor. That keeps the phone at max at all times and will absolutely kill your battery life.

The scheduler does things like minimize seek latency, and prioritize requests.

There are great posts on the forum that explain all the options

Upvote 0
I found this very cool all-in-one guide for your reference! :)

[REF][TWEAKS] Kernel Governors, Modules, I/O Schedulers, CPU Tweaks, AIO App Configs - xda-developers

After reading it and looking around the forums it seems that the best governor and i/o scheduler are smartassV2 and sio when used together. This is in regards to balancing battery life and performance.

The only frequencies I've tested was at 1.402ghz which is what the One V's MSM8655 (Scorpion) scales to on paper, and the 1.709ghz true overclock which as you said seems to run stable. Though there's also the MSM8255 (Scorpion) variant as seen on the Galaxy Note that scales to 1.498ghz on paper as well.

So maybe it's okay to say that having the phone at 1.498ghz is a good safe start??

I was pretty impressed with the score I got in Quadrant @ 1.709ghz. :D

@Rxpert83 I've included two screenshots of my governor and i/o scheduler options. What do you recommend?

Attachments

• 2012-09-08 21.17.18.png
    2012-09-08 21.17.18.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 2012-09-08 21.16.17.png
    2012-09-08 21.16.17.png
    119.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 2012-09-08 21.17.02.png
    2012-09-08 21.17.02.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 2012-09-08 21.29.37.png
    2012-09-08 21.29.37.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 2012-09-08 21.29.44.png
    2012-09-08 21.29.44.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0
Well max and min are pretty self explanatory.

The governor determines how quickly the cpu gets ramped up or down. If you post your options here I can make a recommendation. I would immediately suggest you not use performance governor. That keeps the phone at max at all times and will absolutely kill your battery life.

The scheduler does things like minimize seek latency, and prioritize requests.

There are great posts on the forum that explain all the options

OH yeah before I forget. I had it set to performance for my benchmark tests last night. Cos if I can get a better score...why not :D

Upvote 0
Benchmarks aren't really useful for that reason. They arent ran in real work situations. The numbers also don't mean anything because there is no real comparison because devs have hacked it to get super high scores without the phone actually scoring that high.

If you want to use it for fun on your device that's fine, but what's important is that you are happy with the way the phone runs in real life situations

Reactions: Prinny
Upvote 0
Neat, I learned something new!

As far as what works/doesn't...Well I tried the 2ghz option, and my phone went BZZZZT. So I figured that was a no go >_>;; 1708 is what I'm at now. Benchmarking now, and we'll see what happens. Its performing better than my Motorola Triumph when that was OC'd to the same thing. o_O weird.

*gasp* "BZZZZT" how Prinny!?

Well, I really just use the benchmark tool as a log of sorts, and I used the smartassV2/sio and Lionheart/deadline combinations instead of the performance governor because it should reflect real world usage if anything else.

This is all hypothetical but it appears that the 1.709ghz OC is not as stable as it seems. I did get that impressive 2732 score on Quadrant, but follow up scores under the same environment where inconsistent and would drop up 200-300 points at times. On top of that, when testing Final Fantasy III I experienced lag in intances where there wasn't any before. In MX Player I've also experienced a bit of jitter in my videos where there was none before.

Besides that this phone is being bottle-necked by it's ram more so than anything else, or any performance issues at higher frequencies.

I haven't even started managing the ram, but check out the 2832 score I got @ 1.402ghz under the smartassV2/sio combination!! Best part of all was that the results were repeatable unlike at 1.709ghz!! To me it seems that 1.402ghz is more reliable and performs better than having the phone @ 1.709ghz with the same governor and scheduler... FFIII and MX Player now actually performed far better than when my phone was at stock 1.024ghz.

BTW, the new Samsung Galaxy Reverb uses the same MSM8655 (Scorpion) processor and is also clocked at 1.409ghz. ;)

As far as the Lionheart/deadline combination @ 1.402ghz, it performs better in games and any intensive app in the foreground, but the battery drains a bit faster and the Quadrant scores always lagged a little behind the smartassV2/sio combination at the same frequency.

So yeah, I think I found the sweet spot for the One V, or my phone at least!! :D I'm still a noob, so I may be wrong somewhere... lol

I will study the 1.498ghz frequency some more before I make an opinion on it...

Attachments

• 2012-09-09 12.44.56.png
    2012-09-09 12.44.56.png
    104 KB · Views: 57
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones