• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Over my head with android 11

FMW

I'm not a heavy cell phone user. I rarely use it except in the car. None of the instructions I get from searching the internet seem to apply to my Motorola G Pure phone. Perhaps someone can help.

The major issue is Android Auto. I can install the app but the OS loses the icon. I can't open it or delete it. I can't retrieve the icon. I've found all kinds of solutions on the internet but none of them work. I can't pair it to my car possibly because I can't open it. I would like to delete it and allow the car to load it into the phone. I need help. I know the app works with the phone because this one replaced one that was lost.

An irritant is the phone's habit of sounding an alarm every time there is a notification and none of the notifications matter a whit to me. I would like to shut the alarm off. As an added benefit it would be nice to end the notifications as well.

Thanks in advance for any heip.

I'm a little confused. If you say the OS loses the icon, but you can't uninstall it or delete it, are you saying that you can install it but there is no shortcut on your home screen? If you go into the play store app and search installed apps, if it shows as installed there should be an Android Auto icon in your app drawer.

Android Auto should work with your car (depending on the car) with a direct cable connection to thew car's USB port. It should auto-launch when you plug it in. Some cars do support Android Auto over Bluetooth, but that's only been very recently. And, you should be able to pair your phone with your car without Android Auto as long as Bluetooth is turned on.

I'm a little confused. If you say the OS loses the icon, but you can't uninstall it or delete it, are you saying that you can install it but there is no shortcut on your home screen? If you go into the play store app and search installed apps, if it shows as installed there should be an Android Auto icon in your app drawer.

Yes it is installed. No there is no icon. It is a "feature" of Android 11. Apparently Android Auto is built in to 12. It is simply inaccessible in 11.

Android Auto should work with your car (depending on the car) with a direct cable connection to thew car's USB port. It should auto-launch when you plug it in. Some cars do support Android Auto over Bluetooth, but that's only been very recently. And, you should be able to pair your phone with your car without Android Auto as long as Bluetooth is turned on.

Yes, but I need to delete the installed one first in order to have the car reload it. The phone works with bluetooth but android auto does not. It needs the USB cable.

You might want to try just sitting down and going through all the options in your Moto's Settings menu. Every model has its own, unique Settings menus, the options there reflect directly to the phone itself. That is, there won't be a menu option for a feature that your particular phone doesn't support -- i.e. if your phone doesn't include NFC than there won't be any NFC options in the Settings menu. So getting familiar with all the various items in the Settings menu is a good way to learn about your phone, and keep in mind there are lots of menu options to look through, and a lot of them have their own contextual sub-menus along with some only being accessible using a three-dot icon or gear icon in the upper or the lower menubar.
it can be quite time consuming so don't expect to do it all at once, and just do an online search for terminology you run across that you don't understand. If you're puzzled about something, the odds are really good there are a lot of other people online who were also curious so there's typically a lot of info available (... of course some say too much). Anyway, once you get comfortable with the Settings menu on your Moto that should make it easier to do what you want. In your case pay more attention to the Bluetooth and the Android Auto options, and there's a Search function in Settings (spyglass icon) that might help you too.

Yes it is installed. No there is no icon. It is a "feature" of Android 11. Apparently Android Auto is built in to 12. It is simply inaccessible in 11.

Yes, but I need to delete the installed one first in order to have the car reload it. The phone works with bluetooth but android auto does not. It needs the USB cable.

Unless Motorola did some funky modding, the AA icon should be in your app drawer in 11, too. Try going to settings>apps>android auto and clearing the cache and storage for the app. That should put the installed app in its factory default state. And make sure you are up-to-date with updates as well.

Unless Motorola did some funky modding, the AA icon should be in your app drawer in 11, too. Try going to settings>apps>android auto and clearing the cache and storage for the app. That should put the installed app in its factory default state. And make sure you are up-to-date with updates as well.

The options are grayed out because there is no cache or user data. The app has never been run. I know the app runs on this phone because this phone replaced the exact same model that I lost. I let the car load AA on the first one. I loaded AA on this one from Play Store. My mistake I guess. Is there a way to downgrade the Android version? I'm not fond of 11.

If AA was not installed initially, it should absolutely be uninstallable as well as being able to be removed with a factory reset. If you can go into settings>apps>android auto and provide a screenshot, it would be helpful. I checked and no sensitive or personal information is displayed on the screen ... just settings.

As for downgrading, that's always iffy. You'd need to find a complete rom of the previous version and be able to unlock the bootloader to flash it.

Is there a way to downgrade the Android version? I'm not fond of 11.
As far as I can tell the Moto G Pure was released with Android 11, which means that there has never been an OS build for that phone based on anything older. So there is no older firmware for you to install, and hence downgrading (which is never easy) is not possible.

If AA was not installed initially, it should absolutely be uninstallable as well as being able to be removed with a factory reset. If you can go into settings>apps>android auto and provide a screenshot, it would be helpful. I checked and no sensitive or personal information is displayed on the screen ... just settings.

As for downgrading, that's always iffy. You'd need to find a complete rom of the previous version and be able to unlock the bootloader to flash it.
Can't run it. Can't open it. Can't delete it. Tomorrow I will reset the phone and start from scratch. I thought there might be an easier way but it is what it is.

As far as I can tell the Moto G Pure was released with Android 11, which means that there has never been an OS build for that phone based on anything older. So there is no older firmware for you to install, and hence downgrading (which is never easy) is not possible.
Thanks. Just a thought. I will reset the phone tomorrow and start fresh.

Back
Top Bottom