• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Overclocking Anthrax

You might be good on 1620 on Viper. I was running in the 1500's on that ROM and it was smooth.

I'll try sometime today with Antrhax though.

Thanks I'll look forward to hearing your result. :D

I've been successfully overclocked ButteredToast to the max 1728MHz on Viper3d and was running it with no problems, and since ButteredToast and Anthrax are closely related kernels, I'm baffled as to why it won't boot if I choose 1674MHz or 1728Mhz on Anthrax.

Upvote 0
Have you tried another ROM with the kernel?

Just curious. I know if something doesn't work with one ROM, I try like 4 or 5 others until I get it to work. >.> I'm determined like that at times.
No, not yet. I've tried it with the older version of Viper3d R284 though, I could go up to the Anthrax recommended 1566MHz, anything higher and it was unstable for me.

Upvote 0
ButteredToast is a lot more up to date than Anthrax. The newest Anthrax is 3.7.0 emirite?

Yes, that's correct. Reason I want Anthrax is because I find it to have the best sound quality running on my current Viper3d R330. ButteredToast does come close though. Performance wise, after running Quadrant and Antutu, I've found that Anthrax performs slightly better too.

Upvote 0
Agreed. Use Mobster rom, and u have good audio, and u can use any kernel. Im typically Mob/MAC bc it works great for me

However, im using Mob Lite, and using Power AMP to have a music widget, and the audio settings seem to conflict. Google Play Music is working wonders tho :D

I also use MAC rather than Mobz's kernel just because of the overclocking ability.

Upvote 0
So is it me or does overclocking get your phone hotter quicker?

Its not just you.

The more your device is working, the warmer it gets.

In the case of computers, overclocked ones sometimes heat up so much that they'd need a cooling system of sorts.

So its normal, I don't recommend both cores on 1.9 min and max ;) Unless you want your phone to melt.

Upvote 0
Its not just you.

The more your device is working, the warmer it gets.

In the case of computers, overclocked ones sometimes heat up so much that they'd need a cooling system of sorts.

So its normal, I don't recommend both cores on 1.9 min and max ;) Unless you want your phone to melt.

Nah i run 1.4-1.5 on both, what do you recommend for best battery life / performance?

Upvote 0
Nah i run 1.4-1.5 on both, what do you recommend for best battery life / performance?

Well, I recommend that you NOT run both cores at the same time all the time. You shouldn't need them both on at the same time for 95% of your daily use. Look at your voltage settings in Kernel Tuner. I assume that these voltages are for EACH core...someone please correct me if I am wrong.

My default settings show 875 mV for 384 MHz. Now double that if you want both cores on at the same time. Now look at the voltage needed at 1512 MHz. It's 1250 mV...now double that...this is a lot of voltage needed to run both cores at max.

For me, the best compromise between performance and battery is to tweak the MPDecision settings. By default, I feel that they're a bit conservative. I'd rather have the second core kick in for a few seconds during certain activities. To make sure it kicks in faster, I've lowered the delay times and the threshold. However, I've also raised the threshold for cutting off the second core so it shuts down sooner.

My aim is to have the second core kick in for a few seconds to help get past any lag I may experience, and then turn right back off. I mostly want to avoid song skips and pauses during graphically intense screen changes. The default MPDecision settings didn't give me what I wanted, so I played around with them. I am still tweaking them, but this is where I am at now.

Service Start Delay Default: 500ms Tweak: 150ms
Threshold Up Load Default: 35% Tweak: 30%
Threshold Up Time Default: 250ms Tweak:150ms
Threshold Down Load Default: 5% Tweak: 10%
Threshold Down Time Default: 250ms Tweak: Didn't change

So I am basically making the MPDecision "decision process" start sooner by 350ms. I've lowered the load to 30% and the time for that load has also been lowered. Since I am using it more for burst speed, I've told it to shut off the second core sooner, by increasing the cutoff to 10%.

In the end, I feel this is a pretty good balance of performance and power. I use Interactive governors for both cores. However, I am still tweaking. One of my performance benchmarks is to play music, and then start doing stuff with the screen. I like to load up the accu-weather animation in the Sense ROMs (full screen) while music is playing...then I open and close the status bar over and over until the music starts to get flaky. The numbers above provide consistent music output for me. I don't mind having more processor than I need, as long as it's limited to bursting.

One thing I haven't even touched on is the scheduler. I have decided to use noop for now. But I have some questions about schedulers, and once I do a search and find a thread on that topic, I'll ask some questions in that thread.

Upvote 0
Bigwillyg who writes BT has access to Chads repo but not the special sauce because of NDA's with HTC, how much more up to date could 3.7 be, it was released in November? :D
OB

Right, even though anthrax hasn't been updated since Novemeber, it's still one of the best kernels in my humble opinion. Anthrax running at 1.5GHz has the power of another custom kernel running at 1.7GHz. In other words, Anthrax is a powerful kernel with a lot of options and when it comes to sound quality, I haven't found a custom kernel that could match it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones