• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone from another mother

AT&T phones do not have CDMA radio which is what Verizon uses for voice calling and data when LTE is not available

I live in a pure LTE area so I was kind of hoping a rooted a phone with a right ROM would work, but it makes sense. Thanks.

Yeah unforunately right now Verizon still uses cdma for all voice calls, LTE is for data only. When voLTE is rolled out, then LTE will be used for calls too.

There's also the issue that AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile all use different (and incompatible) frequency bands for LTE, though that could (and probably will be eventually) theoretically worked around by the phone supporting many LTE bands.

Some of the newest releases of phones have CDMA and GSM antennas built in, do theoretically if unlocked you should be able to call or text with certain Verizon/Sprint phones on At&t or T-Mobile. But like Wolfdude88 says, LTE with each carrier runs on different bandwidths, same for 3G as well. So best case scenario, you'll be running EDGE with an unlocked phone on a different carrier.

best case scenario, you'll be running EDGE with an unlocked phone on a different carrier.

I'm pretty sure that if I managed to SIM unlock my Droid RAZR M and use it on a GSM carrier, I'd at least get some sort of GSM 3G on it, if not the marketing-speak 4G that's actually closer to 3.5G/3.75G.

I'm pretty sure that if I managed to SIM unlock my Droid RAZR M and use it on a GSM carrier, I'd at least get some sort of GSM 3G on it, if not the marketing-speak 4G that's actually closer to 3.5G/3.75G.

The device would have to be hspa capable, Verizon does not use hspa.

Back
Top Bottom