• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone not connecting with computer for Froyo upgrade

I attempted to upgrade my phone from 2.1 to 2.2 today and it was not connecting to my computer via the USB ports. I took it over to the US Cellular store and they could not connect either. The technician mentioned that my phone may have had some moisture in it at some point. She thought that the connectivity might be related to the mosture. What now? Is there another way I can get the upgrade to work? Besides getting a new phone? Any help would be great! Thank you!

I actually had this same problem on one of our phones here at the office. I had to download the USB driver for the phone in order to complete my upgrade. I think you may be able to find that here:
Samsung

It has been a little while so I don't remember which file of the two listed on that page you need to download but one of those should be the USB driver for the Acclaim R880. Once you install that on your PC try and reconnect your phone to the computer and see what happens.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply.
I tried downloading the drivers, and my phone is still not connecting with my computer for the upgarde. What now?

When you tried the new drivers, did you totally remove everything first? When you try the upgrade program, do you have the cable unplugged from the phone and computer?

I'm not sure what you mean by remove everything first. When I ran the upgrade I connected the phone to the computer as the program instructions told me, and so did the US Cellular technician.

You may want to take it in and see if they can repair it and how much it would be.... Does the computer recognize it as a drive? Or does the computer at no point even see the phone at all?

Cwill brings up something I didn't even think of when first posting my response. I imagine your phone is still in a working state you are just trying to upgrade to Froyo. If thats the case what are the results of trying to connect the phone to the computer while its on in normal running state? That would seem like a good test to see if the USB connection is truly not working or if it just isn't working during the upgrade as was my case.

If the computer doesn't recognize the phone when it is is plugged in at all I would think the phone would have to be repaired.

Good Luck.

I plugged the phone into my computer and it comes up with a message that says "USB device not recognized." When I click the banner, under that USB port it says UNKNOWN DEVICE.

I plugged the phone into my computer and it comes up with a message that says "USB device not recognized." When I click the banner, under that USB port it says UNKNOWN DEVICE.

Sounds like the phone or cable at this point. When you took it into the store, they used their own cable right? If yes, then you will have to get the phone repaired. Sorry. If you have another computer that the phone has never been connected to, you could try that, but Id imagine the same result would happen.

Mine said the same thing when I tried to do the update, but my phone has no problem connecting to the computer normally, just when I'm trying to update. Any suggestions?

I bought my phone a month after the update came out; would have been nice if they had mentioned it or done it for me... I only recently found out there was an update!

Back
Top Bottom