• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone randomly starts to play music - only stops by pulling down menu

Tuliptwy

My phone is really ticking me off. All of a sudden, out of no where, it will start playing music. It's always the same song. It can be in my hand, my purse, on the counter, charging, not charging. The only way to stop it is to unlock the phone and pull down the top menu. There's just no rhyme or reason to it. Can someone please help?

What sort of music is it? A proper song? Something from a game etc?

Do you have any MP3s on your phone at all, is it one of them?

It sounds like an ad of some sort or a game running in the background. Do you get any pop ups etc?

I listen to radio programs and it's one of them. I don't know if it's an mp3 because I can't find it on my phone. No pop ups come with it and it doesn't show in the pull down menu. I'm just at a loss.

I have my phone set to start music as soon as a headphone is plugged in.

Turn that setting off and see if that helps.

Thanks Tube - unfortunately my phone has no idea what headphones are as I've never even taken them out of the box.

Hi Snakeyeskm - Not obvious at all - but the only thing I use for music is the one that came loaded on the phone. I've looked at it and the settings, but cannot see where to disable it. As for uninstalling it, I'm not comfortable doing that because when I checked the playstore, this original app wasn't on there. Any other ideas? Thanks.

You don't have to uninstall it, instead just disable it. open settings and go to apps and Force Stop that application. Alternatively download a package disabler from Google play store and use it to temporarily disable the app.
What is the name of the music app came loaded with the phone?

Thank you - I forgot about the force stop. I've done that, so we'll what happens. Unfortunately it doesn't happen on a regular basis so it's just a waiting game. The app has the same icon as the other pre-loaded Samsung ones. It's just called Music and it's version 16.2.02.54 Not sure if that makes any difference or not. Thanks again for your help.

Well, I thought it had worked but the stupid thing came on again. :mad: I am now at a total loss as to what to do. I'm unsure if there is anything left that I can/should force stop - nothing so far as I can see.

Hang in there. Since it's not your music, it is possible that somehow this tune that you keep hearing has become part of your notification sounds portfolio. That would explain why it comes on and then goes off when you pull down the top menu. Going to notifications and check the different sounds associated with different functions. Go to Settings/Sounds and Vibration and tap on notification sounds. Look at all the options that are being utilized in the appropriate sound linked to them. Bottom line check out all possible sounds associated with activities on your phone. You never know.

You are truly an Android Expert! I went through the notification sounds for every app and it turns out it was my gmail that was the problem. I turned it off and no problems anymore!! Thank you thank you thank you. This has been an annoyance for so long - I should've come on the forum sooner. I'll remember that if I run into another problem. :D

I have one question about this: Do apps typically assign their own notification sounds? Gmail has been on my phone from the time I got it but this problem only started about 6 months ago. Just curious. :thinking:

Thank you again. Have a great day.

Me again. It didn't work and now I'm unable to stop it by using the pull down menu. I just went through every single option in my settings and think I may have found the culprit in Settings/Sounds and vibration/Notification sounds/default notification sounds. We'll see. At this point I'm willing to let the damn thing run it's course - all 30 minutes of it. LOL I'm with your wife on this one - it's definitely gremlins. :eek:

I have my phone set to start music as soon as a headphone is plugged in.
Turn that setting off and see if that helps.

I have this problem now. Started when I connected new Bluetooth headphones.

tube517 is right. It's obviously a setting.

But please tell us more, tube517: where are these settings — and how do I turn them off?

I'm still running Android 4.4.2 (on an SM-C115 - Samsung K Zoom).

Hi. I had the same thing on my Galaxy Tab A 2017 build and it played music that sounded like Chinese music. It played randomly and I started to look things up. I just went into settings Google and connected apps. Disconnect all that you don't know about. Mine was in some foreign language and I disconnected it. It's gone now. (I think)

My phone is really ticking me off. All of a sudden, out of no where, it will start playing music. It's always the same song. It can be in my hand, my purse, on the counter, charging, not charging. The only way to stop it is to unlock the phone and pull down the top menu. There's just no rhyme or reason to it. Can someone please help?
Check your Clock app to see if you have in alarms or notifications set on it. I had the same with my Samsung Galaxy Tablet and removing the notifications and alarms from the Clock app stopped the music from playing

Back
Top Bottom