• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Picking up an s3 again today..need mobile hotspot answers quick!

Shockwave78

Android Enthusiast
So I decided to get the s3 again after returning my original one after only a couple hours use after I received it on the 6th. Went back into the verizon store yesterday and played with it agai and loved it for some reason :D

Needless to say since the 6th I have dumped my home Internet since noone really uses it as much anymore since we all have cell phones. I do have unlimited data still and know that verizon will give me unlimited mobile hotspot for 4g If I sign up. I was told by a best buy employee that there unlimited hotspot is actually limited at 10gb if anyone can confirm? Ya I know it's a BB guy :)

So...is anyone not signed up for mobile hotspot with verizon and still using tethering apps from the play store I heard that works? Are you using large amounts of data with it and verizon is not catching on? I could see myself plowing through maybe 10-20gb through devices other than my phone if it works good

What's the price of the mobile hotspot for 4g anyway? I know it's $20 for 3g as I can see it in the features list, but I cannot see 4g yet since I don't have a 4g device.

Thanks

If you are asking how to get a paid service for free, illegally then I don't think we can help

If you are asking how to get a paid service for free, illegally then I don't think we can help

This is discussed all over this forum from what I have seen. And if I am using a app from the play store and it works for tethering then google and verizon need to work it out.

Foxfi is a free app in the play store. Not anymore i use around 4 gb now, i have homefusion as my home isp. I used to avg 34GB/ month.

This is discussed all over this forum from what I have seen. And if I am using a app from the play store and it works for tethering then google and verizon need to work it out.

That's simply because it's not illegal to use tethering in all countries. It is not a paid service in the UK ergo, not illegal to enable it.

Its impossible to police...

Have a read of the January announcement about tethering.

However, for you it is illegal. Just warning you that if you're openly breaking the law, you may not get responses to help you break the law

So I decided to get the s3 again after returning my original one after only a couple hours use after I received it on the 6th. Went back into the verizon store yesterday and played with it agai and loved it for some reason :D

Needless to say since the 6th I have dumped my home Internet since noone really uses it as much anymore since we all have cell phones. I do have unlimited data still and know that verizon will give me unlimited mobile hotspot for 4g If I sign up. I was told by a best buy employee that there unlimited hotspot is actually limited at 10gb if anyone can confirm? Ya I know it's a BB guy :)

So...is anyone not signed up for mobile hotspot with verizon and still using tethering apps from the play store I heard that works? Are you using large amounts of data with it and verizon is not catching on? I could see myself plowing through maybe 10-20gb through devices other than my phone if it works good

What's the price of the mobile hotspot for 4g anyway? I know it's $20 for 3g as I can see it in the features list, but I cannot see 4g yet since I don't have a 4g device.

Thanks

Hi. Yeah don't use Foxfi or other tethering apps like that because it's stealing from Verizon. Don't try to excuse it. They have set up their pricing structure and when you pay them for internet but don't pay them for a Hotspot feature, but still use that anyways, it's stealing.

*off soapbox*

I am in the same situation as you. Have unlimited data and an SGS3. I added the unlimited 4g hotspot easily over the phone and it's $30 minus my employer discount so I pay around $25. I have streamed Netflix over my PS3, used my iPad, had my wife using her laptop and I was on my Laptop playing Everquest :D and it ran fine no problems. I get between 12-30mb down at home depending on time.

For Netflix I will say it seemed to take longer to load (10 more seconds) at the beginning and it would stay fuzzy for longer before it got to it's regular sharpness. Also, during a 22 min episode it might turn fuzzy once or twice more, whereas on Comcast it wouldn't ever do that.

But I pay around $55 to comcast after taxes and renting the modem ($5). so it will be about $30 savings a month when i drop them in a week or two.

You can add or drop the hotspot feature whenever. It's really an amazing feature. I've used 9gb of data and i'm halfway through my cycle. zero throttling. Doesn't drain SGS3 battery overly fast and also doesn't make it that hot (and i have heating issues on mine). I would recommend putting it on your account and holding on to it forever :)

Back
Top Bottom