• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Picture files - storage and/or transfer/attaching

Shazbat

Jul 17, 2010
Just got my Nexus 5 and overall very chuffed with it. Battery is fine, have only charged it fully a handful of times.

But, I usually store photos and when I want to, email them to friends, colleagues, whatever (via MS Outlook 2010). Trying to do this yesterday, I got an error message saying it wasn't using a valid file path. I tried on both MTP and PTP settings and got the same message. Compared with my Galaxy S2 which had over 6000 photos stored on it, I've discovered the Nexus can only handle a few at a time so am I doing something wrong or does it not have the same storage capabilities that I was previously used to.

I know I can use Dropbox or Google+ and am looking at those, but using the phone is currently all I know so would just like to know if it's possible or whether I have to revisit my storage.

Not sure I understood what you are trying to do.

Do you store the photos on your phone, and are trying to connect your phone to your computer, and get MS Outlook 2010 on your computer to attach files from your connected phone?
Why don't you just use the mail app on your phone to attach pictures and send from your phone directly? How many pictures are you trying to send at a time?

(Note: if you are planning to store 6000 high resolution pictures on your phone, do make sure your phone doesn't run low on space)

Edit: It looks like Outlook can't see the Nexus 5 files over MTP - you can however access the Nexus 5 files using windows explorer, and copy the pictures to your computer's local drive that way, and then, attach those (from local drive) to your EMail in outlook 2010.

Do look at cloud storage - makes it a whole lot easier. Also, I'd recommend having your photo's auto-backed up to some cloud storage (just in case you lose your phone, or phone gets wiped out or corrupted etc). G+ and dropbox and onedrive all have this auto-upload available. The good part about that is that you don't need to ever connect your phone to computer - take photo on your phone, and moments later, it is available to you on your cloud account from anywhere, on any PC/device.

Reactions: Hook
Upvote 0
Thanks for that, you got it. I was just expecting the Outlook to see it as it did my old phone. I actually detest webmail so only use it on my phone/tablet when there are no alternatives or I need to check quickly.

Still learning about cloud storage. I've got dropbox but only the free version.

Upvote 0
The piece that you are missing, why your S2 behaved differently, is that Android no longer allows the file system to be mounted to a PC as if it were a flash drive. It makes an MTP connection, which Windows Explorer recognizes, but no other Windows Programs will see it and even Windows Explorer provides fewer options for. Basically, I just rely on copying files back and forth. I really don't use cloud stuff much. Convenient, yes, but I would rather manage my own data. I do have a personal server I can connect to. ;)

Mail apps (rather than web mail) are quite functional. Many are fine with the stock email app (not Gmail), but I use Aquamail Pro. Great for sending off a photo to folks.

Reactions: Shazbat and xdrc45
Upvote 0
I've personally used One Dive (formally Sky Dive) for a couple of years now and it works great. Automatic sync for photos, videos, documents and etc.
It seperates you uploads into categories and can be easily downloaded to your devices and or shared to others.. Works with phones, tables and your PC. Its very convenient and easy to use. Definitely worth looking at and it's a free app.

Reactions: Hook
Upvote 0
The Gmail app will let you configure Google accounts (only). If you want to configure a non-Google account on your device, you need the Email app (or a third party Email app). You could configure your accounts (that you currently use outlook on your desktop for) on the Email app on your N5, and then use that to send the Emails with any attachments from your phone

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones