• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pinning apps - unpinning gets you stuck

wvmarle

Lurker
I'm trying to use the "app pinning" method on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (T280). This is for a tablet to be deployed as device controller, so it has to be locked down to a single app, but I don't want screen locking, so the user can at all times unlock the screen and access that one app. They have to be locked into the app.

With the app pinning I'm running into two issues.
1) I have to set up at least some security to prevent the user leaving the app. A screen pattern is good enough for this. But when I set this up for the app unpinning, it does the same for the screen unlock.
The screen unlock I know can be avoided by setting the development mode to not lock while on power supply; the tablet will be connected to a power supply at all times when deployed.

2) and this is a major one: when unpinning the app (pressing the back and recent buttons), the app is unpinned first, then the security pattern is asked. This is wrong (and outright a stupid way of doing things - can't believe Google did this). As it is the app gets unpinned (which is wrong, as the security pattern was not entered yet) and the user gets locked into having to enter the pattern, with no option to repin the app and get back to it (also wrong behaviour, of course).

The proper order is of course to first ask for the unlock pattern, when entered correctly unpin the app, or return to the still pinned app.

Any suggestions on making this pinning work in a useful manner?

Or do I really have to look for a "kiosk mode" app? If so - suggestions?

The main issue is that I (and a few other admins) will know the unlock code, but we will not be anywhere near the thing when it's used. The whole purpose is to lock it down, preventing the end user from accidentally getting into the main Android. I don't care much of them being able to find a workaround, if they do and things go wrong it's their own fault - it's their device, so high levels of security are not needed here.

Hi there, @wvmarle! Welcome to Android Forums.

I don't know how to solve the issue you're having, but I didn't want you to feel ignored. :)

That no one's offered help yet simply means the right person hasn't read it yet. Hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom