• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help poor touch sensitivity in certain apps (Droid48)?

electricpete

Android Expert
I've been installing apps on my new Nexus 6 (running 6.0.1) and all apps seem working fine so far, except one: droid48 engineering calculator (emulation of the HP48).

In order to register a tap on a button/key in that app on my N6, I have to leave my finger on the key for some period of time... perhaps 0.7 seconds.

In contrast, on all my previous phones (Samsung Infuse, HTX One VX, Kyocera Hydro Icon, Samsung Galaxy S4), there was no such limitation. I simply tapped as quickly as I could (perhaps contacting the screen for 0.2 seconds each keytap) without any thought to holding my finger on the key for a length of time.
If I do the same thing on my N6, it misses every single tap. I have to slow way down and watch or listen for feedback that I have successfully pressed each key on my N6

I do still have my factory screen protector on there...was planning on leaving it on until I get another screen protector. Doesn't seem to affect any other apps, so I don't think that's the problem.

Has anyone else seen this? Any settings that can be adjusted in Android or within the App?

(I fiddled with system haptic feedback and touch time off..no difference. I turned on in-app settings for haptic feedback and the feedback IS initiated for a quick tap...but the calculator still doesn't respond to the quick tap even though it gives vibrating haptic feedback)

(btw I'm aware there are a lot of other great calculator apps out there, but I am not looking for a different calculator app... this one does exactly what I personally need...it's been my faithful companion for years... my reasons why are in my 2/12/2012 post here )

Last edited:
Just installed the app to test for this post.

I don't use a screen protector and I've a launch day nexus 6 running all stock firmware and never rooted.
I had no issue pressing buttons and having the buttons register in normal use.

If you have a screen protector, you should attempt without it, or install another calculator app to test.

Again no issues.

Are you rooted? Different ROMS may work differently than others and some settings could be different.

Let me know if i can test further ...

Thanks for taking the time to do that. I appreciate it. You got me thinking some more in a different direction which helped me figure it out...

I had N6 Settings / Magnification gestures set to on (waiting for a triple tap to magnify).
Turning that setting off on my N6 fixed the problem.
And turning that setting on in my S4 recreated the problem somewhat.
So it's not a N6 problem... I just forgot about that setting I had applied.

It does seem odd that it didn't seem to affect any other apps (including keyboard typing), but it sure killed droid48. Oh well, it's fixed - that's the important thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to do that. I appreciate it. You got me thinking some more in a different direction which helped me figure it out...

I had N6 Settings / Magnification gestures set to on (waiting for a triple tap to magnify).
Turning that setting off on my N6 fixed the problem.
And turning that setting on in my S4 recreated the problem somewhat.
So it's not a N6 problem... I just forgot about that setting I had applied.

It does seem odd that it didn't seem to affect any other apps (including keyboard typing), but it sure killed droid48. Oh well, it's fixed - that's the important thing.

2016 and I have exactly the same problem u describe and I had it on a Nexus 5 and a Sony device. I can not believe that this is not common....

THANK YOU electricpete !!!! for solving the calculator & phone key pad 'key lagging' problem. This problem has been nagging me for years. I was getting so frustrated with slow calculator and phone keys I was looking to buy a new faster phone. You literally saved me hundreds of dollars. And the frustration if I got a new phone to have the same lag on it. I've even downloaded different calculator and phone dial apps thinking the ones I used were at fault. After removing the triple tap zoom feature, my phone and calculator are so much faster. They are like lightning now. It's like having a new phone.! Everything works so much faster. Yes I'm surprised this problem isn't talked about more. Once again.. THANKS a bunch for solving this problem. You are truly a genius.!

Back
Top Bottom