• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help possible water damage

jlede

Android Expert
So dropped my n7 in water (a bowl) and now it won't charge as fast when I use it is this permanent damage to the port were I plug it up

How long did you leave it to dry for? Standard practice is normally in a box/bag of rice in a warm cupboard for at least 48 hours. You shouldn't attempt to charge or even turn on in that time.

Well It was in the water for at the most of 3seconds using it now I let it dry and started charging it and now is charges a bit shower than normal sand there is green stuff on the port were u charge /still charges thank god and everything works what is that green stuff on the charging port

That part of the port might be starting to corrode from the water. The green might be the corrosion.

Well It was in the water for at the most of 3seconds using it now I let it dry and started charging it and now is charges a bit shower than normal sand there is green stuff on the port were u charge /still charges thank god and everything works what is that green stuff on the charging port

Anyhow, there are many possibilities of what could be wrong with your device. From what you've posted so far I'd say that your charging port is corroded/rusted/molded, the battery has got water inside it or the cord from the port to the battery has come loose/been effected somehow by water.

Do you mind taking the back off the device? It's not difficult and you can do it easily with your fingernail. If you take the back off you could inspect for water residue or even drops of water laying around inside the case of your device.

Would u have any links for me so I could look at what you're talking about and then I'll go some

You can go to the pharmacy section of any store and get it. Isopropyl (aka rubbing alcohol) comes in two veriaties, a 91% and a 97%(or 98%?). I would get the 97% if you can find it. Put the alcohol on a stiff bristled brush and scrub the corrosion off. A hard bristled tooth brush may work depending on how much corrosion there is.

Keep this in mind though. If there is corrosion on this connector there could be corrosion further into the device. Im not saying this to worry you, I just want you to be aware of what could be happening from the water damage.

I repair electronics for a living and see what water can do to electronics all the time.

Its true that water can be corrosive, but if you clean it up right away, chances are there will be little or no damage at all down the road. I used COMPRESSED AIR to fix water damage. Works wonders. Here is a link to explain it:

https://sites.google.com/site/cellaphoney/home/water-damage

Forget about rice, ovens, heat guns...etc. Air works the best. If you clear ALL the moisture from your device, you don't need to run Alcohol through your device. Waste of time in my opinion. :-) You don't really want to let your device sit for days in a rice bag while the water starts to take its corrosive action. That is why air is the best....it removes it immediately and the water doesn't have time to chemically interact with the metals.

Its true that water can be corrosive, but if you clean it up right away, chances are there will be little or no damage at all down the road. I used COMPRESSED AIR to fix water damage. Works wonders. Here is a link to explain it:

https://sites.google.com/site/cellaphoney/home/water-damage

Forget about rice, ovens, heat guns...etc. Air works the best. If you clear ALL the moisture from your device, you don't need to run Alcohol through your device. Waste of time in my opinion. :-) You don't really want to let your device sit for days in a rice bag while the water starts to take its corrosive action. That is why air is the best....it removes it immediately and the water doesn't have time to chemically interact with the metals.

This is mostly true. I agree with the compressed air. However, corrosion can continue even after the water is removed. Depending on the type of water, it can have salts and other minerals that will continue to corrode if not removed. Copper corrodes very easily. That is why I recommend alcohol and a brush to remove these salts and mineral left behind.

Yes, I do ultimately agree with you valorian that it is possible some corrosion can continue. If the water is left to sit for a while, your chances of corrosion are much higher, but if you get it right away, there is much better chance. There are always 100 different ways to do something, and most people are lazy or don't have time, (like me, both lazy and don't have time), to fix things 100% properly. Taking the whole device apart and doing your method with the alcohol is..well, probably the "best" way. But what I have found so far, is that the compressed air method seems to be the best bang for the buck, works immediately, and so far, the phones I have fixed with this method are still working today...at least 5 I know for sure, the others I have no contact with. :-) Plus, I am batting 1000% on my fix percentage, and I see zero corrosion on my own phone I dropped in the river. :-)

Yes, I do ultimately agree with you valorian that it is possible some corrosion can continue. If the water is left to sit for a while, your chances of corrosion are much higher, but if you get it right away, there is much better chance. There are always 100 different ways to do something, and most people are lazy or don't have time, (like me, both lazy and don't have time), to fix things 100% properly. Taking the whole device apart and doing your method with the alcohol is..well, probably the "best" way. But what I have found so far, is that the compressed air method seems to be the best bang for the buck, works immediately, and so far, the phones I have fixed with this method are still working today...at least 5 I know for sure, the others I have no contact with. :-) Plus, I am batting 1000% on my fix percentage, and I see zero corrosion on my own phone I dropped in the river. :-)

Looks like we are in agreement. I wasn't trying to suggest taking the unit apart. I was just instructing the OP to use a brush and clean the connector where they are seeing the green corrosion.

Looks like we are in agreement. I wasn't trying to suggest taking the unit apart. I was just instructing the OP to use a brush and clean the connector where they are seeing the green corrosion.

Agreed I'll try all methods I've noticed that corrison has now actually boosted my charging speed I went from 80% to 100 in like 5-7min usually its like 15-20min

Back
Top Bottom