• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem with /data (or /data/data)

boster

Mar 2, 2011
I'm desperate. My wife is upset. Just so you understand the tension around the place.

Several days ago we upgraded her from a Moto Droid RAZR (XT912, Android version 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, Verizon). Her RAZR had been getting worse and worse. VERY slow to respond to anything. Hard to type in a text message because of lag. She was often getting "Google play services has stopped" messages. We finally got her on a new phone. Yea.

She has been playing Angry Birds (7 different versions) for years. In the past I have been able to backup her Angry Birds progress and transfer to a new phone. When I sat down to do this transfer over the weekend, I also got frequent "Google play services has stopped" messages, or sometimes "Google Play has stopped". Sometimes other apps or services had stopped. These messages were so pervasive I finally began to uninstall or roll back any apps I didn't think I'd need for backing up and transferring her Angry Birds progress.

I also tried to stop the phone from trying to connect to the Verizon network. In part, I just wanted the WiFi radio on and no other radio, to reduce battery consumption. I honestly don't remember how I went about attempting this, nor whether I actually accomplished anything. At this point I've lost track of whether you even can turn the cell network off for a phone.

When I ran Angry Birds Backup--my trusted app for this mission in the past--I just got errors. The errors were related to /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds/files/highscores.lua, or similar for the different versions of the game.

Also, when I run Angry Birds--any version--the screen goes blank, and that's the end. I can't do anything without forcibly restarting the phone. I've waited up to 10 minutes and get nothing.

I tried other backup methods, including Helium. Helium proclaims success, but the .zip file rumored to contain the Angry Birds data is only 158 bytes in size. Essentially it's empty.

In looking at /data, I can't see anything. So I decided I must root the phone. I've tried the RAZR Blade tool. It proclaims success, but when it's done Root Check says the phone is not properly rooted. RAZR Blade does give errors along the way.
  • The first error is "link failed Not a directory", without indicating what it is that isn't a directory.
  • Next error is "/system/bin/sh: cat: /data/data/com.motorola.contextual.fw/files/DataClearJarDex.jar: Not a directory". There's /data/data again.
  • Next error is "/system/bin/sh: can't create /data/data/com.motorola.contextual.fw/files/DataClearJarDex.jar: Not a directory". Again, there's /data/data.
  • Next errors:
    "failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
    mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
    Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
    link failed File exists"
  • Finally:
    "/system/bin/sh: su: not found
    /system/bin/sh: can't create /data/data/com.motorola.contextual.fw/files/DataClearJarDex.jar: Not a directory"
As I said, at the end, RAZR Blade proclaims success, but I'm not rooted.

And since I don't end up with a rooted phone, I can't look at /data or its permissions.

A couple other items, maybe related maybe not:
  • At startup I get "UIDs on the system are inconsistent, you need to wipe your data partition or your device will be unstable", with an "I'm Feeling Lucky" button. (I've researched this, and have followed suggestions for resolving it, but have had no luck. I'm not feeling lucky.)
  • The Home button does not work. It does nothing.
Obviously, this phone has its issues. It might seem the easy and sensible option is to say, "I'm sorry, honey, but your progress is gone". Sadly, that will NOT bring good results.

Can anyone offer an educated guess as to what has happened? Has /data become corrupt? Have the permissions for /data gone away or become corrupt?

If one of those things happened, how?

Most important, is there anything I can do which has a possibility of getting that Angry Birds progress? ANYTHING???

(You would be smart to ask, "Was she registered with Rovio so her progress would be backed up with them?" Unfortunately, the answer would be 'no'.)

-boster

Last edited:
Reactions: electricpete
Different phone, pretty sure that the procedure is the same, wipe cache from recovery -

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...wer_detail/a_id/95478/p/30,6720,8882/kw/cache

Pretty sure that Helium doesn't work with most Motorolas so that's going to be out regardless.

Verizon Motos are a beeyotch to root and Motorola removes a necessary component for non root backups to work.

You get wifi only by turning on airplane mode then turning on wifi.

Sorry, wish I knew more.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones