• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

QCELL Batteries w/ Wall Charger Review

Mostly Harmless

Android Expert
I have been using these QCELL Batteries for a few months now and I figured I should probably write a small review about them.

Intro

I am a commuter who spends probably anywhere between 1-2 hours riding the train a day for 5 days a week. I use my phone a lot at work and often on the train ride. Usually I am within reach of a charger and keep my phone topped off most of the time. Since I always have a backpack on I like to carry spare batteries for those "just in case" days, aka the train breaks down (sometimes up to 1-2 hours delayed) or I am running around between meetings and don't have access to a charger. They take up little room so I have no issues carrying them with me. Time when I am stuck on the train are taken up with heavy internet usage, youtube videos and netflix, so the power is definitely flowing. Also I use my phone as a hotspot for my Tab 10.1 which also eats up the power.

Batteries

I picked up these batteries because them came with the wall charger, they were cheap, and they are still NFC compatible (I don't use NFC all that much but what the heck). They hold the stock power rating of 2100 MAH, so potentially I have 6300 MAH worth of power between the 3 batteries. I believe the quality is good but I don't think they are at the same level of the stock Samsung batteries. The stock battery seems to last a bit longer. But at $25 I wasn't expecting much.

Wall Charger

I also liked that these came with a wall charger. With my old SGS2 I purchased a stock Samsung battery but had to swap batteries to charge them. The wall charger also has a USB port to charge your phone at the same time. The only thing is that it takes a long time to recharge these batteries. 6+ hours for a full charge. Usually not an issue since I do it over night (plus these batteries don't get all the much use). But just note they aren't charging in a few hours.

Why not an external battery backup?

I thought about purchasing an external battery backup since weight wasn't really an issue and since I owned a tablet I could power both devices off one unit. As it turns out I get 4 days out of my Wifi Galaxy tab 10.1 under heavy usage so battery life isn't a concern there. I do like that if I think I will be using my phone a lot without my backpack I could just slip one of these batteries in my pocket and not worry about it at all.

Conclusion

For the money I have nothing negative to say about these batteries. They do the job fine and it's nice to have the wall charger.

Pros
  • Additional 4200 MAH of power
  • Includes Wall Charger
  • NFC Compatible
  • Dirt Cheap, 183 MAH per dollar
  • Uses stock back plate

Cons
  • Wall charger takes a long time to charge

I also have these batteries. I've been unable to use Google Wallet with them (required NFC). I'm fairly sure it's the batteries as I am able to use Wallet with the stock Samsung battery (yes, I reset Google Wallet before transferring the batteries). I've seen other posts referring to non-stock batteries causing problems with Wallet.

Back
Top Bottom