• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question about shortcut Wifi Icon

markdoc

Android Expert
I use my wifi connection 95% of the time. I have no problems with it connecting to my phone and to the internet. Occasionally, the wifi shortcut icon has an exclamation mark in it and I can't find what that means. Everything I've read is about the wifi icon on the notification bar. Mine is on the shortcut and its definitely not that it isn't connected to the internet. I always check my internet connection when that happens and it is fine. Does anyone know what it means?
Thanks in advance,
Screenshot_20190713-205218.png

Honestly that's never shown up on mine with full bars. I see the explanation mark whenever I'm just out of range but still connected. If I take a step further away my phone connects to mobile data.

I had that show up on mine, this past week. Notification indicated that I was
connected to my home WiFi but didn't have internet.
Sure enough, Spectrum was doing some maintenance and my WiFi, as well as the phone was out.

Screenshot_20190713-205218.png

Thanks guys, but it has nothing to do with internet connection. If you check my screenshot, you can see the wifi icon on the notification bar is fine. Its the shortcut that has it. Are you sure you're talking about the shortcut and not the notification bar. Because if its on the notification bar's icon, then it means no internet connection. But when its on my shortcut, I still have a strong internet connection. I definitely checked. Its not internet connection, that's why I'm confused.

Last edited:
Honestly that's never shown up on mine with full bars. I see the explanation mark whenever I'm just out of range but still connected. If I take a step further away my phone connects to mobile data.
Are you sure we're talking about the same icon? I think you're talking about the notification bar where I'm talking about the shortcut.

I've had this show up on my shortcut as well, usually when we've had several devices riding the Wi-Fi at the same time but no problems with the actual connection. I've been told that this may occur after your provider has conducted an upgrade and it is read as a misconfiguation but as long as there is not a conductivity problem there is nothing to worry about.

I've had this show up on my shortcut as well, usually when we've had several devices riding the Wi-Fi at the same time but no problems with the actual connection. I've been told that this may occur after your provider has conducted an upgrade and it is read as a misconfiguation but as long as there is not a conductivity problem there is nothing to worry about.
Thanks. That seems plausible because I have 15 things connected to my LAN, mostly wifi. But why would it show on the shortcut and not the Notification bar? :thinking: Strange!

The only time I see an exclamation point in the wifi icon on my notification bar is when I have no internet connection, so, to fix this issue, I reboot the router, which in turn fixes the problem.
I do not use anything that shows a wifi shortcut. What are you using for that?

The only time I see an exclamation point in the wifi icon on my notification bar is when I have no internet connection, so, to fix this issue, I reboot the router, which in turn fixes the problem.
I do not use anything that shows a wifi shortcut. What are you using for that?
The Wifi shortcut is always there. I can use it to turn wifi on and off by tapping on it. If you long press it, it takes to the wifi options in your Settings. You can remove it and change your shortcuts by tapping the little down arrow under the volume slider. Then, on the lower right above "File Sharing" tap "Edit". You can drag & drop all the icons to get what you want.Screenshot_20190714-074234.png

You're not lost, ol buddy.
I didn't phrase what I was trying to say like I wanted to.

Just saying that different folks are seeing the exclamation point for different reasons. When it happened on mine I googled it and found more than a few reasons. IDK, mine was the ISP.

You're not lost, ol buddy.
I didn't phrase what I was trying to say like I wanted to.

Just saying that different folks are seeing the exclamation point for different reasons. When it happened on mine I googled it and found more than a few reasons. IDK, mine was the ISP.
Ok! Now I got it. But when I Googled it, all I got was information on the notification bar icon, not the shortcut. What did you google? (And now the shortcut doesn't have the exclamation point but nothing has changed)Screenshot_20190715-002103.png

Thanks for the tip, but staying connected to my router isn't a problem. I'm trying to find out why the wifi shortcut icon gets an exclamation mark. The only thing I'm positive about is it has nothing to do with the connecting to the internet. My LAN is connected to the internet no matter what the shortcut looks like.

This is what I know about the exclamation point within the wifi icon.
The device which shows it has been disconnected from wifi.
Your ISP has disconnected it from your home network, remotely.
Each of your devices has a mac address and they CAN remotely disconnect you.
I know because if I'm downloading certain files from the internet, using wifi, after the download, I'll see the exclamation point.
And that device will not be connected to the internet.
So when this happens, a simple reboot of my router will reestablish my wifi connection with this device....
I hope this helps, but as I stated, this is what happens with me.

ok, thank you for noticing my reply and explaining the issue further. I suggested you kiosk solution because there you can set exact WiFi configurations, i understand you can access the internet but the icon shows as same(screenshot), do you have the same issue with any other mobile device?
That is what's so puzzling. There is no issue. The shortcut icon on my LG V40 changes for no discernible reason.
This is what I know about the exclamation point within the wifi icon.
The device which shows it has been disconnected from wifi.
Your ISP has disconnected it from your home network, remotely.
Each of your devices has a mac address and they CAN remotely disconnect you.
I know because if I'm downloading certain files from the internet, using wifi, after the download, I'll see the exclamation point.
And that device will not be connected to the internet.
So when this happens, a simple reboot of my router will reestablish my wifi connection with this device....
I hope this helps, but as I stated, this is what happens with me.

But you're talking about the wrong icon. That's why I included the screenshots. All phones have the wifi icon in the notification bar. That's the one that changes with connection strength and gets an exclamation point when your connected to your LAN, but your LAN isn't connected to the internet.
Then, there might be a second wifi icon in your shortcut area, depending upon how you have arranged your shortcuts. That second shortcut icon is the one I'm talking about. It gets an exclamation point while my phone's wifi connection is fine. (Very strong, LAN is connected to the internet) So I don't know why the shortcut gets the exclamation point. I hope that clarifies everything.

Since we couldn't figure it out, I thought I'd give LG a chance. As I expected, they had no idea. They started with the no internet connection, but when I told them that I checked and the wifi icon in the Notification bar didn't have it. They got desperate. They wanted me to reset my network connections to try to remove it. I told them that was pointless because the exclamation point wasn't there now. So I told them to forget it. I didn't want to cause a commotion. Within 5 seconds they thanked me and said have a nice day. They didn't even offer to keep trying. Lol I guess I get a perverse pleasure making support personnel squirm. bitmoji-20190715013842.png

Back
Top Bottom