• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question for Linux nerds.

That did the trick. Thank you so much.
You're welcome.
I've been using "ctrl alt F1", but then thinking I had to restart gdm ( ./etc/init.d/gdm restart). I didn't even know about F7. So can I just use any of the Function keys 1-6? Or does each one do something slightly different?
They're each another virtual terminal, and you can log in on any or all of them simultaneously.

I'm going to assume you're new[ish] to *nix, so let me give you a tiny history lesson: We've had multiple desktops in *nix for decades. :) Before GUIs, all of the function keys (*IF* I remember correctly--and it's been a long time, so my memory may be off) represented virtual terminals. Now [f7] is normally mapped to the GUI.

One other thing I want to point out--and without knowing for sure what your motivation was, this may not be relevant at all. You can drop to a command line [in a terminal] at any time within your GUI via shortcut keys. Obviously, this doesn't get rid of the GUI.

Also, if you're using multiple desktops within your GUI, you can dedicate one to just having a terminal open, and then rotate your cube [or however you access your multiple desktops] to get to that desktop for command line stuff.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, see this blog post about some nifty Linux features. :)

Upvote 0
You're welcome.
They're each another virtual terminal, and you can log in on any or all of them simultaneously.

I'm going to assume you're new[ish] to *nix, so let me give you a tiny history lesson: We've had multiple desktops in *nix for decades. :) Before GUIs, all of the function keys (*IF* I remember correctly--and it's been a long time, so my memory may be off) represented virtual terminals. Now [f7] is normally mapped to the GUI.

One other thing I want to point out--and without knowing for sure what your motivation was, this may not be relevant at all. You can drop to a command line [in a terminal] at any time within your GUI via shortcut keys. Obviously, this doesn't get rid of the GUI.

Also, if you're using multiple desktops within your GUI, you can dedicate one to just having a terminal open, and then rotate your cube [or however you access your multiple desktops] to get to that desktop for command line stuff.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, see this blog post about some nifty Linux features. :)

Ok, so each function key is another terminal. That is handy. I never knew such an option existed without the GUI desktop, but it makes sense that that is how it was done for years before a GUI existed for Linux.

I have multiple desktops and I know I can use terminals and other CLI clients - terminator is cool - but I was just curious about how to "Kill" and bring back the GUI just as it was. If I go to a command line I prefer how big and clean looking the actual CLI is, also I just wanted to know for nerdy shits and giggles. :D

Upvote 0
I use Xmonad as my window manager which is kind of cli-centric wm. It's configured in functional programming language Haskell and I use vim to configure it.

And doing chroot install (installing another/same linux distribution from linux installation or from live cd with command line using scripts, several commands, package manager and chroot) is propably kind of nerdy.

Upvote 0
Ok, so each function key is another terminal. That is handy. I never knew such an option existed without the GUI desktop, but it makes sense that that is how it was done for years before a GUI existed for Linux.
Yes, it's been around forever.
I have multiple desktops and I know I can use terminals and other CLI clients - terminator is cool - but I was just curious about how to "Kill" and bring back the GUI just as it was. If I go to a command line I prefer how big and clean looking the actual CLI is, also I just wanted to know for nerdy shits and giggles. :D
I totally get that! And I like the big, clean look, too. Reminds me of the good old days! :) (Don't get me wrong: I like today's GUIs (I'm a KDE person), and I'm glad to have them. But I'm extremely partial to and fond of the UNIX era I "grew up in" so to speak.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones