• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Questions about contacts

Volt9000

I've been using my GS3 for a few days now and I really like it, but I've found 2 things that are annoying.

1) In the Contacts, when I go to Groups, there are several "Integrated groups" that are already there. Can I delete or change the names of these groups? I really don't need an emergency contacts group.

2) When I go to the contacts list, I see my contacts exactly as I expect. However, when I start typing in the search bar, I see e-mail addresses pop up that aren't in my contacts, but who I've apparently e-mailed from Gmail at some point or another. This can get quite annoying because if I don't have a contact for these people, I really don't want to see them in the list since I have no desire to reach out to someone to whom I sent one e-mail a long time ago. So far the only way I found to get rid of these people is highlight them in the list when I find them, press and hold, and hit Delete. Thing is, these addresses only show up if I happen to search for someone else and these come up as a partial match. Is there another way around this?

I've been using my GS3 for a few days now and I really like it, but I've found 2 things that are annoying.

1) In the Contacts, when I go to Groups, there are several "Integrated groups" that are already there. Can I delete or change the names of these groups? I really don't need an emergency contacts group.

2) When I go to the contacts list, I see my contacts exactly as I expect. However, when I start typing in the search bar, I see e-mail addresses pop up that aren't in my contacts, but who I've apparently e-mailed from Gmail at some point or another. This can get quite annoying because if I don't have a contact for these people, I really don't want to see them in the list since I have no desire to reach out to someone to whom I sent one e-mail a long time ago. So far the only way I found to get rid of these people is highlight them in the list when I find them, press and hold, and hit Delete. Thing is, these addresses only show up if I happen to search for someone else and these come up as a partial match. Is there another way around this?

for the first question. you can not delete the emergency group or edit it. no idea why. but the rest of the groups like family, friends, co workers can be edited by holding down on the group, you can change the name but cannot delete. no idea why.

for the first question. you can not delete the emergency group or edit it. no idea why

Because its integrated into the emergency dialer. The dialer looks for the Group so if the name doesn't match, it wont find it. It would probably crash the dialer if this happened

Try this for #2. Open the stock contacts app, hit the menu key, then scroll down the list to "settings" then select the option titled 'only contacts with phones'
If this is not what you are intending, another option you can try is to open the stock contacts app again, then hit the menu key then scroll down to the option "Contacts to display" then expand your different email/exchange/phone contacts then uncheck the various entries you don't want to display

Hopefully either of these two will give you the desired effect.

Try this for #2. Open the stock contacts app, hit the menu key, then scroll down the list to "settings" then select the option titled 'only contacts with phones'
If this is not what you are intending, another option you can try is to open the stock contacts app again, then hit the menu key then scroll down to the option "Contacts to display" then expand your different email/exchange/phone contacts then uncheck the various entries you don't want to display

Hopefully either of these two will give you the desired effect.

Thanks, I tried both of those, but neither seemed to work. The contacts still come up.

I should point out the contacts only come up when I start typing a search. If I view the entire contacts list and scroll down, I won't find, for example, Joe Smith. But if I type ".com" into the search bar, I'll get joesmith@isp.com.

Well since there doesn't appear to be a real solution to this odd "problem" the only workaround at this point is to just delete those e-mails on a case-by-case basis as they come up. Of course this means any time I use my Gmail account to e-mail someone, it will then appear in my contacts list, unwanted.

Well since there doesn't appear to be a real solution to this odd "problem" the only workaround at this point is to just delete those e-mails on a case-by-case basis as they come up. Of course this means any time I use my Gmail account to e-mail someone, it will then appear in my contacts list, unwanted.

try thjs
go to google dashboard from a desktop/laptop and deregister your device from your account. then go to settings on your phone then to accts and sync and turn off gmail sync of contacts then go back into settings and then into mange apps, then clear cache in the contacts app and gmail app.
report back here :-)

try thjs
go to google dashboard from a desktop/laptop and deregister your device from your account. then go to settings on your phone then to accts and sync and turn off gmail sync of contacts then go back into settings and then into mange apps, then clear cache in the contacts app and gmail app.
report back here :-)

How exactly do I unregister my phone from my account? I don't see that option anywhere in the dashboard.

This is how I fixed this on my phone
Go to google dashboard, go down to chrome sync, select delete data and stop syncing
Then follow these steps:
Troubleshoot sync issues - Gmail Help
Once I did this my autocomplete for chrome and contacts stopped.I had to clear data and clear cache from the gmail app and contacts and reboot the phone. If this doesn't do it I am out of ideas. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom