• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Questions About Nandroid Backup

With everything I've read in the Commando forums I know nandroid backups can be made. A number of times I've looked for a "how to" for this, found something, tried it but it didn't work, for one reason or another.

The latest "how to" I've looked at indicates I needed to install ROM Manager, go to Backup & Restore and then simply choose Backup.

Except when I open ROM Manager, I immediately get a window requesting I must first set up a custom recovery. My choice is ClockworkdMod Recovery. When I select it, It tells me the Device Not Listed Above and to click here.
When I do, it tells me that the C771 does not have an officially supported ClockworkMod Recovery and wants to know if I have manually installed it.
That's when I back out since I know I haven't installed a recovery file.

Am I going about this all wrong? Where do I go from here? What are you all using for the recovery file? Or am I using the wrong app to do a nandroid backup?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

there is a recovery. but you cant install it that way. first ? are you rooted. you cant do a nandroid backup with out clockworkmod recovery. here is my tool to help with the install http://androidforums.com/commando-all-things-root/717534-multi-tool-oneclick-installer-root.html follow the instructions here. you will have cmw recovery and root if you are not yet rooted. when you get into recovery. if you are not rooted use volume down and up to navigate then menu to select the developer menu. there you can select install su&superuser. after install reboot phone. then you will be rooted. then you reboot to recovery. then go to backup&restore. select nand backup. it will give you options what to back up select what all you want to be backup. then select perform back. this will take a few minutes. then you can reboot phone. if you would like to restore. go to recovery select backup&restore select nand restore. then restore the back up you made. note that you came make more backups if you wish. it will not over right the old ones. a bit of advise after your backup when you reboot phone go to sdcard and make a copy of your backup to your pc. just incase you delete your backup. if this help please hit the thank button.

Reactions: ATgiant and davism
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones