• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Questions about settings or How to ???

markdoc

Android Expert
I need some help! I've been using HTC phones exclusively for years and I'm lost on two things. I've checked the manual, but no success:

1. On my HTC phones, the screen would stay lit when using the speaker phone. On the LG, it goes black. Is there a way to keep it lit besides keeping a finger in contact with the screen?

2. Under settings, "Apps & Notifications" & "Apps Info" are a list of all your apps. When you tap on an app's name, you get the app's page with 2 buttons; "Uninstall" & "Force Stop". On HTC phones, there is a third button "Disable" that shuts down the app without uninstalling it. Is there a similar button on LG phones?

I'm trying to figure out the speaker phone issue also, it's annoying.

The apps that have the "Disable" button are system apps or something put on by the carrier.
The apps that give you the option to "Uninstall" are generally third party apps that you've installed.

I've disabled a bunch.
MyScreen_2019-02-15-14-16-48.png

The speakerphone thing is s pain. At least if you keep a finger on the screen, it stays lit. I'm going to look for an app. On the "Disable" issue, I appreciate the information, because it helped. Unfortunately, LG is different than HTC.
0215191455.jpg
On HTC phones, almost every app has a "Disable" button. This is a game on my old phone.

The LGs app settings are basically the same as both my Samsung phones, both my Motororola phones and all my wife's phones. Personally, I've never seen the option to either disable or to uninstall apps, like you have on the HTC.

Not sure why they did it, that way.

I liked it. I thought all phones had the same thing. I guess ignorance is bliss. Lol
I used it when trying to chase down a glitch. It was easier to disable than to uninstall & reinstall.

Couldn't find ANYTHING about keeping the screen on while on speakerphone, but found an app (KinScreen) that may work.
I've installed it and am giving it a test.
So far, I successfully made a call with it and the screen stayed on.
Additional settings to keep the screen on by motion and/or proximity sensor.
MyScreen_2019-02-15-18-40-00.png

I found an app that is great! It's called "Keep Screen On". It can keep the screen lit without dimming for any app you choose. Close that app and it goes back to your Display settings. It works for all apps including system apps. That's the important part. I turned on system apps and turned it on for call screen and it worked! Im going to set it for writing apps, maybe browsers, who knows. Try it, you'll like it! Yours looks good too.

Screenshot_2019-02-15-18-54-58.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-15-18-54-58.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-15-18-54-58.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 272
Who's the developer on that one?
I found 4 or 5 with the same name.

I'm just looking for something that's simple. You can see that kinscreen has a bunch of automated settings that I'm sure I'll never use

The developer is Active Mobil Applications, LLC. Sorry about the size, i was trying the "Capture" function. I'm undecided.
Capture+_2019-02-15-20-43-14.png

Last edited:
I think I solved a problem I was having. I couldn't get an app's icon to stay visible in the status bar. I went to the app's settings page , then App's notifications, and turn on "Override Do not Disturb". I can't explain why it works, but it did for me.

Screenshot_2019-02-18-14-39-28.png

What does BN Pro do that the built in percentage indicator does?
It indicates the battery level by adding color to the percentage. It also can sound an alert when a charger is plugged in and/or unplugged. It can sound an alert when the battery drains to a specified percentage. I started using it when my HTC phone had problems with the charging port being loose.

The screen is not kept on for longer periods of time on static images like a speaker phone call because that's just asking for the screen to get a burn-in. It's an OLED screen, so it's going to happen.

While I agree that OLED screens are susceptible to burn in, I don't believe it will be a problem in this instance. I'm not keeping the same screen on for hours at a time every day.

Few things - my older LG V20 had the disable app thing - that's a base android function. Some you have to force stop before you can disable however. And then usually you can just uninstall them. OH one thing I notice on this ROM vs my Previous V20 - more of the fluff apps are fully uninstallable. Finally VZ.

Second - on keeping the screen on for speaker phone - if you're looking at the screen it should stay on - so without the finger bit. But bigger question - once on a call why does it matter if the screen turns off - it doesn't stop the call or any thing else. If nothing else you could tilt or prop the phone up so the screen isn't flat down that might keep it on too - I haven't tired.

I also found that more of the bloatware was removable than my HTC and I'm glad.
As far as the screen going black with speaker phone calls:
I like to see what's going on while using an app. If there is a long pause in the conversation, I want to know if the person stopped talking or the call got dropped. I have tried movement, tilting, etc and nothing worked. I also tend to stop and think when I write. It is very annoying to have the screen dim or go dark while I'm writing. I found the perfect app for me. Now I can set my screen timeout to seconds and still keep the screen on for a few specific apps. I'm not concerned about burn-in because I don't apply it frequently to the same screen.

once on a call why does it matter if the screen turns off - it doesn't stop the call or any thing else.

It disables the touch screen when it goes dark preventing you from accidentally pressing buttons when you hold your phone to your ear. That's usually invoked by the proximity sensor. If you are just looking at the screen, it's probably a default timeout.

Couldn't find ANYTHING about keeping the screen on while on speakerphone, but found an app (KinScreen) that may work.
I've installed it and am giving it a test.
So far, I successfully made a call with it and the screen stayed on.
Additional settings to keep the screen on by motion and/or proximity sensor.
View attachment 139859

Hi Pit,
Sorry to bother you, but I have a question about Kinscreen. You were correct in your choice and I was wrong. The app i chose stopped working and there is no support. Are you still happy with Kinscreen? If yes, then I'll join you using it.
Thanks in advance,
Mark

Back
Top Bottom