• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Random 3G Toggling Problem with CM based ROMs

DeWe

Lurker
Mar 3, 2013
My device: HTC Desire Z/G2/Vision
Android base versions tested: 2.3.7, 4.0.4 with CyanogenMod 7.2, 9 and 10 and HTC Sence 3.5 and 4 The problem occurs with only CM based roms. The devices 3G connection works without this error with Sense based roms.

I'm having problem when turning on the HSDPA connection. Whenever I don't use the phone more than 1-2 hours (deep sleep I guess) I cannot toggle 3G to be on.

After rooting my phone I installed a CM7.2 stable rom than started using CM9 with kernel 3 from xda developers forum (unofficial CM mod) and found it slow and couple of problems with it, including Mobile data toggling problem and switched to 7.2 back. Before the install, I used superwipeg2+ext4 and I deleted all the caches with 4EXT Recovery afterwards, and then installed the CM7.2 stable. Everything runs fine except the 3G toggling. It sometimes doesn't turn on. I changed the following CyanogenMod Settings > Interface > Notification Power Widget > Widget buttons an added the mobile data on/off to my swipe widget menu. What is interesting is that when I enable the mobile data from widget, it doesn't generally turn on and when I check the Settings > Wireless > Mobile I see data mobile data was not turned on there even though widget shows it is enabled. If I even turn on from Mobile Data menu in settings, 3G doesn't turn on and I have to reset my cellular connection by 2G/3G toggle, WCDMA/GSM toggle, Airplane mode toggle or full reboot to turn on the 3G mobile data. I had the exact same problem with CM9.1.0 unofficial mod with 3.0 kernel. I have used various radio versions and I am using 26 to 26.13.04.19_M with both ROMS, still have the same problem.

How to reproduce the error:

1- Randomly toggle mobile data connectivity on/off in a day. (Via widget menu, external widget or directly from settings) Set to off finally.
2- Don't use the phone for more than an hour. (Generally 2 hours)
3- Toggle the mobile connectivity to on. 3G wouldn't turn on.

Here is my logcat -b radio dumps:
https://www.box.com/s/f5r86tqw0osi0wabmimr

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones