• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Random, 5-digit Android processes- poor battery, high data use, performance suffering

x1n54n3x

Lurker
Apr 11, 2014
This first started out as a poor battery/high data usage problem, which I've done a fair amount of looking into, but I've seen nothing regarding these random android processes (disguised as android processes?) that will appear and disappear, using varied amounts of data, along with an Android OS process using in excess of 150mb of data. I've read horror stories of Android OS using gigs (GIGS) of data, with the only responses from members directing the OP to simply turn background data off, set data limits and utilize wifi. I don't think this is the problem- I'm assuming this is some type of malware, but have yet to find any resources.

Have run malware-detecting apps (AVG, and a couple others I can't remember) and have also done a factory reset to no avail.

Verizon is useless, via phone and in person.

Rooting and reverting to an earlier version of Android (Have read that the most recent update is causing similar problems?) is a last resort, I'm posting this for someone who isn't as tech savvy as I and I'd like to try everything else before having to babysit and walk through a rooting process.

The plan is limited to 6 gigs of data between 3 users and unless data is turned off on this particular phone, this gets chewed through quite quickly by Android OS.

Attached are a few screenshots of the data usage by app. Note where Android OS sits and keep in mind this phone has sat through most of the month with data completely off and wifi is utilized whenever possible.

The second and third shot should also show these "Random, 5-digit processes," which there are about a dozen of, (there used to be only one when the problems first emerged) and some use more data than others.

If anyone can offer some help or resources, as I may have been looking in the wrong places, it would be greatly appreciated. This phone is useless as it is, not to mention extremely frustrating and risky in terms of overage charges. Thanks everyone, if anyone needs more details, feel free to ask for em.

EDIT: as it turns out, I am a new user to the forum and cannot post images or links. I'll post them as soon as I can.

I'm hoping these images show up- the URLs are pulled from a gmail attachment.

Upvote 0
If you are not root-ed the starting point is to clear the Data Cache Partition where temporary data is stored, It can become corrupted over time.

If the problem is sill there ... run in Safe Mode (disabling all apps that you added without uninstalling them). If the problem stops it was caused by an app(s) that you added. You then get to determine which one.

If it does not stop then you should report the problem to Verizon (telling them the diagnosis that you did) and have them replace the phone.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones