• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Receive SMS in Gmail?

Pinmac1

Android Enthusiast
When I visit the US on holiday this year from the UK I will be using a Three SIM instead of my usual O2 SIM. I know I can forward calls to my O2 number to the Three SIM but not SMSs. Is there a way of having my SMSs sent to Gmail as I can check this frequently? I don't get a lot of SMSs but it would be useful to be able to pick them up while away.

Thanks.

Thanks, gtbarry, I'd never heard of this but it looks very interesting. BigRedGonzo, if you Google "If This then That" there's a website which explains it. I don't think I could begin to explain!

I've had a go at this and am now feeling exceptionally stupid. It seems so easy that it would be impossible for it not to work but still I can't do it. I tried to set up a recipe with SMS as the trigger and Gmail as the action. I activated SMS OK as I received the text with the activation code. But when I receive a text, I receive it OK but no Gmail message. I have looked for pre-made recipes but they focus on receiving a Gmail and sending it as an SMS. Tested this and it works fine but I can't get an SMS to send a Gmail. I use Contacts+ as my messaging app. Would this make any difference?

Did think about using Tasker but realised that it wouldn't work as it would be actioning SMSs on the SIM in the phone which would be the Three SIM.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong please?

Did think about using Tasker but realised that it wouldn't work as it would be actioning SMSs on the SIM in the phone which would be the Three SIM.

I'm not familiar with IFTTT, but my first thought was that this would be an obstacle to any solution - with a different SIM in your phone, SMS addressed to your O2 number won't be received anywhere, which would seem to be a prerequisite for acting on them.

I did wonder about this, Uncle Mike, but thought that, as phone calls are apparently OK to forward to another number even if the SIM is not in a phone, that SMSs would be the same?

Forwarding of phone calls is handled by the carrier. Unfortunately, there's no such feature for SMS.

One possible solution is to put the O2 SIM in a second phone, and install an app (if one exists) that will forward the received SMS. This phone would need to stay on, and remain in an O2 service area for this to work.

Thanks, Uncle Mike, that's a good idea. Current problem is that I don't have a second Android phone but as I'm not going to New York until August things might change!

Back
Top Bottom