• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Recovering files from a blackscreened OnePlus 6

Dryplank

Lurker
Hi!
Long story short, i broke my screen. The problem now is that i want all the pictures from the phone, but now i can't enable file transfer from the phone. All the solutions i could find online requires debugging, but i don't know how to enable it now with a black screen. It seems like the touch is working.
So is there a way to recover the files remotely with a computer or are there other solutions?
Thank you in advance!

Is there any way you can set up screen mirroring? A few years ago MHL provided a way of doing this that didn't require any setup on the phone, just plugging an adapter in, but I don't think many if any phones still support that. But does this phone support anything similar, e.g. HDMI out via USB? If it does then you can use that to see what you are doing well enough to enable USB debugging or set the default cable connection mode to file transfer (via developer options).

Thanks for the reply!
No, sadly i don't think that OP 6 supports hdmi from usb c. I checked other options, but it seems like all require debugging. I thought that one option would be to use recovery mode or something to get the files, or activate the debugging remotly, but have not found any solutions yet.

The stock recovery module won't help: that allows you to wipe the phone or install official updates, but not much more. A custom recovery would allow USB debugging to be used, but you have the same problem of needing to see what you are doing to activate it (and if you don't have a custom recovery already installing one now will be difficult, impossible if the bootloader isn't already unlocked).

The problem with anything "remote" is that if it were possible without interacting with the phone itself it would be a huge security hole. So as with USB debugging itself, it's a case of if you've not already set it up the phone should not allow you to do so now.

If the touch layer is working then maybe if you know anyone else with that model you could try connecting theirs to a computer and note where you need to touch the screen to enable file transfer, then see if you can do the same thing blind on your phone?

Yeah, that looks like the most likely solution. Maby a lost cause, but thank you. I will try some more, but i think the only option would be to change the screen. In hindsight it would be no problem if i backed up the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom