• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Removing Battery Changes Charge Percent

azolnierek

Oct 28, 2016
Today, I reset my LG V20 by removing the battery and immediately putting it back in. I noticed that the battery level had dropped about 4% just from replacing it. So, I did an experiment. With my phone at 89%, I removed the battery and put it back and all of a sudden it was at 84%. I did it again, it dropped to 80%. A third time, and it went up to 81%. Any idea what could be causing this? Does the actual bootup take a lot of power, or is the battery or the sensor bad? I've had this phone about a month, I haven't had any problems until this.

Thanks for any answers

3 things are at work here.

1) boot ups of most mobiles are run at full processor power and full read speeds - just like your laptop etc etc. so yes pulling down 4% is within the realm of real. It's got to check it self - all the radios etc etc.

2) LIpo batteries are a touch inconsistent if you just read voltage in short periods - as opposed to continuous monitoring. IE checking for 2 seconds is not as accurate as checking for 30seconds or 6 minutes. so it has to stabilize some - this is actually true of all batteries.

3 Lipo batteries like some other recharables can actually recover slightly when not drawn on. Hence that last but of pull the battery put it back in and it comes up a tick. that is equally within the realm of possibility.

So I would say it's fine - I would also suggest not pulling the battery so often but hey it is fun to be able to do. especially infront of apple and nexus owners that have charging issues.

but remember to let it sit some. the battery as the phone monitoring system needs time to adjust and calibrate when you're checking that %. It's not just voltage FYI - the sense system is also checked cell balance (the individual cell sets in the pack - there is more than 1) and it checks temp and resistance and output current. It's fairly complex for your safety and to preserve the mobile. Unless you have a samsuck.

If nothing else you can try an app called accubattery. it's pretty science driven and decently thought out. needs a little work though but most of the basis is solid.

FYI when you use accubattery don't be shocked to find your battery capacity testing to test above the rated capacity. IE 3300mAh vs the listed 3200mAh if it is brand new. Mine at 3 months old - tests a tick above listed still.

Reactions: thunder18
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones