• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Removing Statup Phone Activation Virgin Mobile Event?

ek100

Lurker
I bought a couple of Virgin Mobile no contract Kyocera Events for $20 each recently from Radioshack. My hope was to have them be media player/streamers and give them to my nephews for youtube etc. That way they don't have to borrow daddy's S3 all the time killing his battery.

Anyone know what to block to prevent the phone from trying to Activate on boot? I know you can use Airplane mode to help block it, but you still get a prompt complaining. I'm afraid my nephews are to young (8 and 11) to grasp the need to avoid saying yes all the time.

I figure root is required as a first step and I think I can manage that.

Airplane Mode suggestion thread:
http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-elite/571127-prevent-virgin-mobile-activation.html

I have the same issue. I bought 11 Zte Awe cell phones for $20 each last Black Friday, and distributed them to my 4 kids, and their 7 cousins for Christmas. The phones are currently used as gaming pads and media players. The phones are in airplane mode to keep the Virgin Mobile Activation prompt from appearing.

However, my 11 year old daughter wants to use Google Voice / Spare Phone / and Tango. So to use those applications, the airplane mode needs to be turned off.

My kids phones are rooted. But I'm unsure how to remove the Virgin Mobile activation prompt.

Any feedback from forum members would be appreciated.

Fulcrum

If you are rooted, for the Event, the app to remove is Self Service. It may be a similar one for the ZTE Awe. If you can, consider installing something like Titanium Backup Pro, or MyBackup Pro to backup system apps. This is so you can have the apps handy on the SD card, just in case they're needed for a system update. My Event was updated once since I bought mine in early Oct. 2013. I'd think people who bought it in mid to late Dec. already have that update installed. I'll write up a list of apps that I removed from my Event ASAP. It's mostly bloatware, and other stuff that can be acquired directly from Google Play.

Stay Tuned! :)

Back
Top Bottom