• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacing USB Port-C with USB Port 2.0 (LG Stylo 4)

Mood Wizard

Lurker
Sep 10, 2019
I've been having some issues with my LG Stylo 4.

The USB Port C is worn out.

I thought it was the cable, so I bought so many cables to find out that the port on this phone is terrible.

So, I've been wondering if I could replace the USB Port C with a USB Port Micro 2.0.

Anyone here know if this is possible to do?

Some repair shops can replace your worn out USB C port with a new one (it's just about soldering job), but not with a Micro USB port. Infact the Micro USB port is far more fragile than the USB C, let alone the compatibility question.

I had the LG Stylo 2 and never had the port became worn out. It has the USB 2.0 Port which I believe is more stable.

Upvote 0
I had the LG Stylo 2 and never had the port became worn out. It has the USB 2.0 Port which I believe is more stable.

In theory it might be possible, but you would need to find a micro-USB port part, that physically fits the space and soldered connections used by the USB-C port in that phone.

If you was at the SEG Electronics Market in Shenzhen, China, someone there might be able to find a suitable part, otherwise good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mood Wizard
Upvote 0
Are you sure the port is worn out, as opposed to just getting pocket lint in it which stops the cable engaging fully? Maybe try cleaning it carefully with a fine probe (e.g. a pin, but be careful to keep away from the contacts).

Personally I'd not attempt this. If you've genuinely managed to wear out the port in one year that suggests that LG used a very shoddy part, and so it's unlikely that any replacement will be as bad. But if you really want to you'll need to know what to do with the rest of the USB-C port's contacts: USB-C has 12 (pairs of) contacts, while microUSB has 5, and I don't know whether you can just leave the rest floating. I found a discussion of fitting a USB-C connector to a USB-A device here, but that's the opposite way round to what you want, and I'd think it's the easier one as the device doesn't have the extra lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Are you sure the port is worn out, as opposed to just getting pocket lint in it which stops the cable engaging fully? Maybe try cleaning it carefully with a fine probe (e.g. a pin, but be careful to keep away from the contacts).

Personally I'd not attempt this. If you've genuinely managed to wear out the port in one year that suggests that LG used a very shoddy part, and so it's unlikely that any replacement will be as bad. But if you really want to you'll need to know what to do with the rest of the USB-C port's contacts: USB-C has 12 (pairs of) contacts, while microUSB has 5, and I don't know whether you can just leave the rest floating. I found a discussion of fitting a USB-C connector to a USB-A device here, but that's the opposite way round to what you want, and I'd think it's the easier one as the device doesn't have the extra lines.

Yes it's worn out. I blew on it and tried it again and its worn out.

I'm just getting tired of trying to keep the cord in.

But, this isn't my only option. I seen that I can add wireless charging but since my port is worn, I might just get a new port and then add the wireless charging so I won't have to keep plugging a cord in the port.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones