• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

reply-to in email client

Trom

Android Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2019
I thought this would be an easy one, but I have not yet found an Android client that supports reply-to, and there doesn't seem to be any threads on this forum. Here's what I have:

Company contracts Google to administer email, and turns off Gmail IMAP. I despise web interfaces, so created a new email account and have Gmail forward my company email to that account. This is fine when I'm at my desk, Thunderbird allows me to use reply-to, so I can write mail from my non-company account and replies still go to my company account, forwards to me, system works.

The phone is a different story, of course I can receive and read company mail, but have not found a client yet that has reply-to as an option. Simply using Gmail phone app as a client for company mail directly is not an option, since they have this thing set up through Google where if you create your company account through Gmail app it installs some Google admin crap on your phone which allows the company IT guys access, fine for company phones, but my phone is mine, and that ain't gonna happen. Does anyone know of any client that supports reply-to or plans to include it? I don't want to do some weird workaround, reply-to used to be a common feature, not sure why no one seems to be including it.

Maildroid. At any rate I can confirm that the paid version (Maildroid Pro) allows you to set this in "Settings > Compose" (with a note that you won't see it in the headers when composing a mail). Can't say about the free version, but you could try it and see. However, I've not used this for a while, and when I tried just now I had trouble connecting to GMail (may just be a glitch, but can't promise).

I'll be amazed if AquaMail doesn't have it, since that app has settings for almost everything. Or it used to - I've moved away from it since it was sold to Mobi systems (nothing terrible changed, I was just never as comfortable with the new owner).

Upvote 0
Maildroid. At any rate I can confirm that the paid version (Maildroid Pro) allows you to set this in "Settings > Compose" (with a note that you won't see it in the headers when composing a mail). Can't say about the free version, but you could try it and see. However, I've not used this for a while, and when I tried just now I had trouble connecting to GMail (may just be a glitch, but can't promise).

I'll be amazed if AquaMail doesn't have it, since that app has settings for almost everything. Or it used to - I've moved away from it since it was sold to Mobi systems (nothing terrible changed, I was just never as comfortable with the new owner).

Maildroid works fine, thank you! I just didn't want to install and uninstall hundreds of clients to find the one. I'd done that yesterday and got frustrated after five or six, and when you read through the information at the play store, the authors never mention reply-to.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
...The phone is a different story, of course I can receive and read company mail, but have not found a client yet that has reply-to as an option. Simply using Gmail phone app as a client for company mail directly is not an option, since they have this thing set up through Google where if you create your company account through Gmail app it installs some Google admin crap on your phone which allows the company IT guys access, fine for company phones, but my phone is mine, and that ain't gonna happen. Does anyone know of any client that supports reply-to or plans to include it? I don't want to do some weird workaround, reply-to used to be a common feature, not sure why no one seems to be including it.

Is this Gmail mail account tied to a business-based G Suite account? If so, you're not going to find a lot of options, if any, to defeat those restrictions that your company's IT department have implemented.

Upvote 0
Odds are whatever restrictions they set up are there to be in accordance with established security policies, so yeah, for those who want to intentionally cheat the system for whatever reasons it's not like they can control everything.

The company isn't tiny, but it isn't exactly Boeing. They've been using Google managed email for about five years, but recently hired some head of IT who views IMAP (on Google's servers, mind you) as a security risk. I've seen these IT guys come and go, and most of them are just nerdy control freaks who go into some passive aggressive mindset when they realize that some of the employees at a particular branch were fluent before they were born.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones