• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Review of Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Full size Hi-Res headphones w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a Review of Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Full Size over-ear High Resolution headphones.
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/38ef8b91d4f4d4f6/index.html , currently available on Amazon as an Import and soon to be released from US retailers as well: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-Portable-Headphone-gunmetal/dp/B00OTADUJA/

Based on the amount and the content of headphone reviews I posted in the last few years it's not hard to guess that I'm not a big fan of full size headphones. A lot of it has to do with a fact that I prefer a portable music setup where I find full size headphones to be too bulky even if they sound good or the other way around - headphones looking cool to wear outdoors while having a subpar sound quality. As a result, my IEMs (ATH-IM03 and ATH-CKR10) get more outdoor mileage in comparison to full size (ATH-M50x) which usually spends more time at home. If you catch my drift you see that I'm a big fan of Audio-Technica headphones, so when I heard about ATH-MSR7 announcement I couldn't wait to test these and to see if they're going to restore my faith in portable use of full size headphones. Here is what I found.

Arrived in a rather large box, and just like with most of the other products from AT, you have to take your time with a tour of an exterior packaging to appreciate what awaits you inside. I'm not just talking about the high res glossy image of MSR7 in gunmetal/brown tone of the model I received or a detailed pictorial description of 3 detachable cables as well as complete Specification list down to microphone spec. I'm talking about a very detailed walk-though of their 45mm "True Motion" Hi-res Audio driver design down to every single component and a complete description of Dual-layer air-control venting technology inside of earcup. This goes beyond of showing a high level of pride AT has for their product, they actually want you to understand how it works - something any headphone enthusiast will appreciate greatly. Going through details of their exclusive "True Motion" driver design with a highly responsive diaphragm and lightweight voice coil, special dual acoustic resistors for a more balanced audio reproduction, and their dual layer metal construction with a triple-venting acoustic airflow design really opens up a "black box" to make you appreciate more how much work went into this high resolution pair of headphones.

Out of the packaging sleeve, when you open black carton box and remove inner accessories box (with cables and storage pouch), you get a rather dramatic presentation of MSR7 sitting inside of the form-fitted plastic mold covered with a loose bunched up layer of synthetic material. It definitely has a WOW! factor, especially a gunmetal finish of earcup details mixed with a brown pleather earpads and headband. Another available finish is a more traditional black/black and also a limited edition red, but from what I understand AT US will only carry Black and Gunmetal versions. I was very pleased with looks of MSR7 model I received for review, especially since this is a first time I had full size headphones with other than "black" finish.

Unboxing pictures.

ath-msr7-01_zpsiq4unysz.jpg

ath-msr7-02_zpsnbbrx9y3.jpg

ath-msr7-03_zpsj5ynsfhp.jpg

ath-msr7-04_zps8tyxc4sf.jpg

ath-msr7-05_zps2etu7o1h.jpg

ath-msr7-06_zpsjyapr1lp.jpg

ath-msr7-07_zps0ya8s4mg.jpg

As I mentioned already, accessories include 3 sets of detachable cables and a storage draw string pouch. Even though it has a quality nylon on outside with a soft inner layer to protect headphones from scratches, I have to admit of being a bit disappointed about lack of hard shell case. As a spoiler alert, M70x comes with a great hardshell zipper case which I would have love to see with MSR7, but unfortunately that case is not compatible with MSR7 due to a thinner headband design of M70x. Obviously it's not a showstopper since you can probably find an aftermarket case to fit MSR7, maybe even something for a flat storage since earcups rotate 90 degrees, but still it would have been cool to see the original case design from Audio-Technica similar to M70x model.

With cables, you get a pleasant surprise of a standard 3.5mm connector on each end, no need for a proprietary lock mechanism with 2.5mm plug going into earcup. You get 3m straight audio cable with straight connectors on each side, 1.2m audio cable with right angled connector toward audio source, and 1.2m cable with inline remote/mic and right angled connector toward audio source. All 3 cables have a matching brown rubbery outer shielding (sturdy build, but rather a cheap feeling) which is flexible and not too thick or too thin, and a nice strain relief where both 1.2m versions have a matching plastic gunmetal connector housing. There is also a noticeable microphonics when cable rubs against your cloth. Smartphone cable with remote was cleverly designed with a single universal multifunction button for Play/Pause/Call (single click) and multi-click for skip next/prev - all of which should work with either Android or iOS phones. Mic is on the opposite side of that remote with a rather cool small mesh screen somewhat resembling earcup air-vents, and with a decent sensitivity performance to pick up your voice.

Accessory pictures.

ath-msr7-08_zpsjndzzi7e.jpg

ath-msr7-09_zps8vwokgga.jpg

ath-msr7-10_zpsuigpd7tj.jpg

ath-msr7-11_zpsyz3rceba.jpg

ath-msr7-12_zpstvudsi5d.jpg

ath-msr7-13_zps2ajxmz63.jpg

ath-msr7-14_zpsbdry2htk.jpg

When it comes to the actual design, MSR7 looks and feels stunning! Build quality is really good, it feels very solid with no creaks whatsoever. It has a very tasteful combination of metal and thick plastic materials where sometime it's hard to distinguish until you touch different parts to feel the cold of aluminum/magnesium alloy used on the back of earcups or bi-color plastic rim on the outer earcup edges, as well as plastic used in y-fork and headband joints. I really like the red accent in the design which creates an illusion of red led glow - very cool effect! A bit surprised they chose to have Left/Right label spelled out above y-fork joint instead of showcasing "MSR7" which is hidden inside. Headband has a stainless steel metal spring and a nice click-action height adjustment. The padding is rather thick with plenty of foam on inner part to rest comfortably on top of your head. Unfortunately, clamping force out of the box was pretty strong, and you will need at least a few days to loosen it up. I kept it on a soccer ball and after 3 days noticed an improvement. Earpads are plush and soft with a nice memory foam and a decent oval opening, very comfortable for my average size ears. Combination of soft earpads and a decent clamping force contributes to a good sound isolation with a passive noise filtering, though it's not completely dead silent - thanks to a noticeably large air-vent at the bottom back of earcup cover.

Design detail pictures.

ath-msr7-15_zpsaigyl6if.jpg

ath-msr7-16_zpsbof8f0pg.jpg

ath-msr7-17_zpsiuosi8v5.jpg

ath-msr7-18_zpskscjvcpo.jpg

ath-msr7-19_zpso9rip6jw.jpg

ath-msr7-20_zpsjeet5zxk.jpg

ath-msr7-21_zpspzluqpc0.jpg

ath-msr7-22_zpscy4mfmz2.jpg

ath-msr7-23_zpsrik2049s.jpg

ath-msr7-24_zpszysctt3b.jpg

ath-msr7-25_zpsv85vkesx.jpg

So the big question is if MSR7 sound quality lives up to its looks? And the answer is definitely YES!!! After a proper 50-60hrs of burn in and using Cayin N6 as a source, listening to MSR7 was like a deja vu of my not so distant review of ATH-CKR9 and CKR10. Believe it or not, but MSR7 sound signature reminded me a lot of combination with lows/mids from CKR9 and upper mids/treble from CKR10. Overall sound has a well balanced signature with a smooth reference quality. I want to be clear that I didn't find it to be bright analytical, but rather a smooth high resolution reference with a good retrieval of details.

Starting with lows, it extends down to sub-bass with a modest quantity which is still noticeable but not on the same level as M50x. I do hear a nice sub-bass rumble with a focus to support a fast mid-bass punch rather than to add weight to low end. Bass is well controlled with a clear separation from mids. Mids do have a nice full body, and feel not too warm or too bright but still very clear and detailed. Vocals, either male or female, sound organic and smooth, a typical Audio-Technica "house" sound. Treble has a great extension, also very detailed, bright, and crisp, and no signs of sibilance. I do have to add that my N6 settled in after many hours of playback, and I consider it to be a rather neutral/balanced source, thus sound analysis is based on that reference. For a smoother and more organic sound you probably better off with a neutral or warmer source, where using brighter sources (like AP100) made upper mids and lower treble sound a bit harsh.

When it comes to soundstage, I found it to be above average in width/depth. MSR7 has a rather good layering and separation of instruments/vocals that doesn't feel congested, and definitely a good positioning/imaging. It wasn't exactly on 3D level, but still convincing to my ears. Also, as you can guess, these headphones are designed for a portable use, and I had no issue driving it directly from my Note 4 or laptop, and didn't require amp driving it from my DAP either. Can it benefit from amping? Perhaps if you want to add some more character to a sound, but I enjoyed it as is. As a matter of fact, MSR7 is among a few headphones I can listen to straight from my laptop without USB DAC and still find them quite forgiving even with subpar low res recording. I guess that goes along with my earlier comment about "warmer source" benefit which is what I find my laptop to be.

Considering huge popularity of ATH-M50/-M50x, I'm sure a lot of people will have a question how these models compare. Even so M50x is labeled for monitor/studio use, it has a fun signature with balanced warm sound and enhanced bass, especially sub-bass which is higher in quantity in comparison to MSR7. Also, M50x sounds warmer and a little thicker in mids and with less retrieval of details in comparison to MSR7. Furthermore, M50x doesn't have the same level of treble extension as MSR7. In my opinion, these two headphones target a different audience where if you want more bass and planning to use headphones for an extended period of listening - M50x will provide that with its more comfortable fitment and warmer and smoother sound sig. Otherwise, to step outside in a style while enjoying a great detailed reference quality sound - MSR7 is the way to go!

Overall, I would seriously consider MSR7 to be my new favorite pair of full size headphones with a design, a style, and a sound quality which hits a sweet spot in my book. For a very long time M50x was my all around pair of headphones for everyday use with my laptop, but it was lacking a level of details I needed for a more critical listening. For that I used to switch to HP150, which also required USB DAC/amp, and perhaps moving forward its place will be taken by M70x (more in the upcoming review). MSR7 is bridging a gap between my "fun" and my "critical" listening needs, allowing me to use the same pair of headphones for any music style I'm in mood for, and to enjoy it if I'm either doing a casual listening or watching a movie or working on some music production. Also, they are not too bulky to wear outside. If you take into consideration an excellent sound quality, a great solid build, a very bold luxurious design, and a convenience of portable use with fold-flat earcups and detachable cable (including smartphone control) - MSR7 is one heck of a value! Definitely gets my high recommendation mark!

A happy AT family: M50x, MSR7, and M70x

ath-msr7-26_zps7y6lgfvi.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones