• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Risks of changing google account on phone??

uzee

Few years ago i had create the google account 'uzee2001', just for the sake of using youtube, igoogle and i need a login for my android phone. Back then i didnt care which username i got.

NOW - i have created a new google account 'uzee85'. this is the username i always wanted and got now.

I have moved most of my google products/services to this new account. Only one thing left is to change the google account on my phone from the old to the new.

If i do this, will their be any risks/repercussions or data problems or anything i have to watchout for?

Nope. None at all. You just add it via Accounts & Sync, remove the old one and you're good to go. Google is separate than the actual Data and Service you pay. Its an Android feature.
wink.gif

There are some services that can not be changed over. Google voice is locked to the orginal account. Google music is locked to the orginal account. Google app creator is locked to the orginal account. If I sound like a broken record, it is because I am a little bit bitter.

Worst case there is a way to change over all services on your phone to a new Gmail account. You back up all of your important data onto a SD card, do a factory reset on the phone, set up the new Gmail account, and then restore your data. It's not exactly a painless process but it works...

There are some services that can not be changed over. Google voice is locked to the orginal account. Google music is locked to the orginal account. Google app creator is locked to the orginal account. If I sound like a broken record, it is because I am a little bit bitter.

i dontt use of those services.

what about apps that are paid for? can you download to other google accounts? is it ok to have more than one device logging into the same google account?

I have a sprint and boost touch pro 2 running android. I am also going to get a couple cheap little tablets.

what about apps that are paid for? can you download to other google accounts? is it ok to have more than one device logging into the same google account?

I have a sprint and boost touch pro 2 running android. I am also going to get a couple cheap little tablets.

Paid apps are associated with the Gmail account that you used to purchase them with. If you change to a different Gmail account you may have to re-purchase them.

On the Account question, I believe you are allowed to use one account for multiple devices. Just need to add the account to the devices in question.

Maybe you might want to consider a painless alternative. Don't delete your old Google account, just add your new one and have the old one forward the email to the new account. Keep the old one so you don't have to pay for Apps again. Not like it is costing you anything. Google allows you to have more than one Gmail account you know. By keeping your old account, and if you use voice, you can simply go into voice and change the setting for where voice sends the copy of your messages if indeed you have your voice-mail going to voice.
Just don't get rid of the old account. Use the new one for everything and go to the old one when you want to re-load an app you already paid for.

Maybe you might want to consider a painless alternative. Don't delete your old Google account, just add your new one and have the old one forward the email to the new account. Keep the old one so you don't have to pay for Apps again. Not like it is costing you anything. Google allows you to have more than one Gmail account you know.

So, is it possible to use multi account on one device for different purposes?

Back
Top Bottom