• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root roms

meckert15834

do you think this phone will get as much love from the DEV's at the droid x did?

thats the main reason i have stayed with my DX for as long as i have . just love the fact that theres still devs out there making new stuff for it.

or will the nexus get most of the love? that may be a big part of my decision.

do you think this phone will get as much love from the DEV's at the droid x did?

thats the main reason i have stayed with my DX for as long as i have . just love the fact that theres still devs out there making new stuff for it.

or will the nexus get most of the love? that may be a big part of my decision.

i think it will get love from the usual developers that develop for moto devices. I dont think it will gain any new devs since the bootloader will be locked. I am sure it will get roms just like the droid x and bionic.

I doubt it. Following a lot of those guys on Twitter, reading stuff on xda, etc...The X had a big crowd like the OG for similar reasons. The locked bootloader seemed to be an obsession for devs to try and work around. Now that the extent of the encryption is fully understood, I think devs are less likely to "waste their time" on an encrypted device, even if they're familiar with it. Several well known devs of Moto devices have at least publicly said they were going to be working on the Nexus and I fully expect that community to be as large or larger than the OG.

Having said that, the phone has already been rooted, so debloating will be easy enough, especially if you're familiar with the X.

Just my two cents...

I think this phone will gain some significant traction with Devs because frankly, it's looking like a real winner and big seller from what we have seen thus far. The DX2 and Bionic have been passed on because they were flawed and not looking like a phone people would flock in droves to buy, however I bellieve the RAZR will be heavily marketed AND it's looking to be somewhat game changing (thin, fast 4g LTE finally) to warrant Devs jumping on.

The Motorola RAZR (non-Verizon Version) will get tonnes of love from the devs. This phone is getting shipped pretty much everywhere in the world with the option to have the bootloader unlocked. I hope AT&T gets this phone also.

The Motorola RAZR (non-Verizon Version) will get tonnes of love from the devs. This phone is getting shipped pretty much everywhere in the world with the option to have the bootloader unlocked. I hope AT&T gets this phone also.

No offense, of course, but you guys are crazy. The "moto" dev crew all started on the OG and then moved to the DX and others. Once the full extent of the DX encryption was understood, it's been a steady decline. The phone will be an excellent addition to the Verizon lineup, but you have to know that dev support / rooting will be very limited on this device. If the Nexus wasn't dropping at the same time, it might be a debatable issue, but because it is, I really think the support will be small. If reliance on the root crowd is an issue for you, it's probably wise to keep looking. If you don't mind lack of dev work, then jump in with both feet!

No offense, of course, but you guys are crazy. The "moto" dev crew all started on the OG and then moved to the DX and others. Once the full extent of the DX encryption was understood, it's been a steady decline. The phone will be an excellent addition to the Verizon lineup, but you have to know that dev support / rooting will be very limited on this device. If the Nexus wasn't dropping at the same time, it might be a debatable issue, but because it is, I really think the support will be small. If reliance on the root crowd is an issue for you, it's probably wise to keep looking. If you don't mind lack of dev work, then jump in with both feet!

Totally agree. Moto devices are dead until the bootloader is unlocked. I hate to say that because I prefer moto over any other manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom